8 year old bites shirt??

How can i stop my son from biting his shirt, has anybody had this problem and how did you stop your child from biting his shirt, please help, thanks kim brevelle.

kimie6401

Asked by kimie6401 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know how to stop it but I know that some kids start it because they are teething. They are getting ready to lose their baby teeth and get their adult teeth. You may try giving him something else to chew on.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My nephew used to do that. He didn't have a single shirt that didn't have holes along the collar. We found that it was a sign of stress, his parents were divorcing and that was his way of dealing with anxiety.
    I would talk to your child and see if there's anything going on that could be worrying him, then I would talk about other ways to handle stress. It could be something as small as stress at school.
    If it's simply a habit, I would start a reward chart. A star for every day he doesn't chew and a reward after so many days. I would eventually shoot for thirty consecutive days since "they" say that it takes 30 days to break a habit.
    diandradawn

Answer by diandradawn at 10:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I agree with diandradawn, its what worked with my 5 year old. Though I did it when I was 8 until I was 10 and I chewed on the cuffs of my hoodies but grew out of it.
    Anonymous

• My son had chewed on the necklines of his shirts on an off for several years now. He does it unconsciously, when he's watching tv or playing a video game or even doing homework. Kind of like I used to chew on pens when I was in HS. The doctor said it was an oral fixation and gave me sometips to help save his clothes. Problem is, none of them worked. He's 9 now and the one thing that works for us is when I notice the habit popping up again, I buy sugarless gum let him chew that instead. e gets his chewing fixationa nd Im not replacing shirts every couple weeks because he's chewing out the neckline.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 3:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• my fil does this :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2010