any one elses child do this?

My son is 17 months old and he will rock really hard in his high chair. I notice it more when he's done eating or not interested in eating. He will also jump and rock on his little couch. Do any of your young children do this, or could it be a early sign of adhd?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 9:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am NOT IN ANY way trying to be a smart A.. Maybe he needs a rocking chair! My dd LOVES to rock herself in her chair or any other chair we have that rocks and sometimes.. when she was around that age she would rock.
    Anonymous

• LOL my son has been doing that since he was able to move. He's 20 months and while yes he is very active I don't want to jump too far ahead of myself and start diagnosing ADHD. He rocks and bangs his head in anything sits on....couch, recliner, car seat, even the wall when he's in his crib. As long as he's not hurting himself I let him do it and I don't worry about it. But if it really bothers you bring it up to his dr.
    Anonymous

• hes just playing. tell'em have fun, if your worried then have his doctor look at him!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt to have him looked at. I don't have a toddler, so I can't say whether it's common (although it sounds like it from the responses). All I know is that it CAN be a sign of developmental issues, so it doesn't hurt to check him out.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Thank you ladies. My son loves to rock or swing as well. He will at the park or when we visit family. 8ut we live in a small apartment, so don't have the room for a rocking chair. I just wasn't sure if other kids did it or not. I know of two bout his age that don't rock in their highchairs. He's a very active boy. Thank you for helping to ease my mind.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• pretty normal I'd say, he's figured out a cool trick and it's fun! As a symptom of something worse it would be autism , but also not meeting your eyes, lost in his own world for MOST of the day, lack of interest in age appropriate toys, or family interaction. These would be very pronounced and obvious.
    Rocking by itself is just a fun, soothing action, lots of toddlers rock without knowing it when watching TV
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• As long as he is hitting his milestones around the rght times and not showing any really weird signs of developmental delay (like things you KNOW right away probably aren't right) then I really wouldn't worry about any problems. You'll know if there is. Things like ADHD and Autism don't just pop up without any significant warning and what your son is doing is very common and very normal for a healthy, active, toddler boy.
    Anonymous

• He hits all of his milestones, and shows no symptoms of autism. I know that one for a fact. He can say at least 2en words or more and is also learning sign. Just didn't know if all kids were as hyperactive.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Not all are as hyper active but some are and that doesn't mean they have ADHD. It's too early to tell. Just enjoy him for now and try your best to keep up with him and all his energy. I know it can be exhausting - I'm there too!!
    Anonymous

• Just didn't know if all kids were as hyperactive.
    Oh yeah some just sit patiently putting blocks in a bucket, my son was like a ping pong ball bouncing around- on the couch just to climb off the couch, climbing, running, scooting, kicking, I used to just wonder how he kept going- we used to call him the energiser bunny!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2010