Potty Training Troubles =(

My daughter is 3 1/2 and has no interest in going potty on the big girl potty. I have read 4 different books, and can't even count the number of online articles. I have tried using m&ms and other snacks as an incentive and she has no interest in that. I have tried getting her panties with her fav characters on them and she refuses to wear them! She screams as if I am doing something terrible when I try to put them on her. I have also tried the Potty Doll that pees when you feed it, and getting her to "go potty with me". Should I just give up on it for a while, and how long IS a while? She is in pre school and when I drop her off I notice that just about every child in her class wears regular underwear and it makes me sad that I have to bring her in pull ups. Any advice would be good here. I know all kids are different but I thought she would have atleast made SOME progress by the age of 3! I started the potty thing around 19m.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old daughter was the same way. I tried EVERYTHING you have mentioned that you have tried with your daughter. I actually just gave up and figured we could try later. About 2 weeks ago I had my daughter at her dance class, I had stepped out for a minute to go next door to get my son some shoes and when I got back they told me that my daughter had went into the bathroom and then came back out with nothing on. I was kind of shocked because she never did this before. All that day she kept telling me she pee in the potty at dance class, I kind of was just ok yes you went into the potty. Well every since that day 2 weeks ago my daughter has not wet her pullup( my daughter still will not wear panties,we have like 50 pairs) but we are still working her going poo in the potty. Your daughter will do it when she is ready, I know everyone says this and I for one did believe it but it is true since seeing my daughter do it.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• We had a big kid party then started wearing big kid undies and going to try every 15-20 mins and getting to put the sticker on and candy or whatever for trying.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Thanks, I ran out of room on my original post. But I have also tried making a potty chart for her with stickers. I tried that out for about a month but she just didnt seem to care. As for going every 15-20 mins, I also tried that after reading it in one of my books and it helped a little the first couple of times but then she started fighting me on it. I mean LITERALLY fighting me on it. Kicking and screaming and acting as if I am taking her to have all of her teeth pulled lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I would explain to her that she is to use the potty from now on. She's old enough that it shouldn't even be a matter of incentives, but just a fact of life. If she won't put the underwear on, then keep her bottomless or put pants on without the underwear. If she starts to pee or poop, move her to the potty. Quickly, if you do NOT give in and give her a diaper, she will figure out that the simple solution of sitting on the potty is much easier than messing herself and getting cleaned up. You can even have her help you with the clean-ups. This is the only approach that worked for my 3.5 year-old cousin, and they tried everything. Just plan to do it on a weekend or some time when you have no commitments, because you will need to stay home until she gets it. If you give her a diaper or pull-up, you'll just be showing her that if she holds out for one, she can eventually use it. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• If it helps at all, I'm in the same boat. My son just turned 3 and has equally little interest in the potty. He will sit on the potty at bath time but that's it. He'll announce he doesn't pee on the potty.. Rewards didn't work. Special underwear didn't work... He just switched schools so I'm letting him settle in then I'm going hard-core. We're going to regular underwear and we'll deal with the mess.. Worst case, he's going naked (that's what my sister-in-law did). In theory, they aren't suppose to like feeling wet but in reality my son doesn't care.. I have found that giving him some control over the situation (i.e. he chooses which underpants to wear, he chooses whether to use his little potty or the potty seat on the big potty) helps a bit.. I try not to look at what others are doign as it just makes me nuts.. So, know at least you aren't alone in this battle!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oh and it seem just 1 or 2 stickers didn't work for my daughter. I give several at a time and I even got her a sticker book to put them in. Not sure but something just clicked in my daughters head and she is pretty much potty trained. My daughter turns 4 in July so it does take some kids longer. I just think some are more stubborn, I know my daughter is.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Wow thanks for posting the questions. Everyones answers were the most supportive and helpful I've seen. My 3 year old isn't telling me when he needs to go yet..I know with time he'll get it...it's just me being patient enough. Thanks moms for your help.
    MESMOM07

Answer by MESMOM07 at 2:39 PM on May. 3, 2010