Biting!!

My 20 month old is starting to bite....people. I usually see it coming and try to keep his mouth as far from my body as possible but he thinks it's funny when he tries to bite and I'm afraid he's going to start this at day care. I tell him "no" of course but he thinks it's a game. Is there anything else I can do to teach him that this is wrong and not fun?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds harsh, but the only way I could get my daughter to stop was to either smack her lightly in the mouth or to lightly bite her back and show her how it feels.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I am going to be completely honest with you, and it will work! You do not want him doing this in day care, as I have been the parent to a child that would be bitten lol. Well first of all you need to firmly but dont hurt him obviously, take his face look him right in the eye and tell him NO! THATS NOT NICE! and be firm about it. If he laughs, say it again, but make sure you hold his face and make him look at you and see how serious you are. If need be later on if that doesnt work, you might need to tap him on the mouth, look him right in the eye, and say NO! You dont Bite!
    Anonymous

• we do time outs, it might take 5 in a row, but you just sit him down tell him no biting that hurts mommy and walk away wait a minute go back get him remind him why he was in timeout and then do hugs
    Anonymous

• My daughter has a serious biting problem as well. thankfully I'm the only one she bites, I'd feel awful if she did it to another kid.

I did some research and found out that most of the time kids bite when they are overwhelmed. It could be because they're too tired, or the room is too noisy, or whatever. But at those times when you sense that he is about to bite just remove him from whatever situation he is in, to a quiet alone place.

Maybe bring it up to the daycare workers as well. I know there's not many quiet places for kids to relax at daycare, but maybe the workers could come up with some way to get him some alone time. They certainly don't want him biting the other kids, so they should be willing to work with you on it.
    Anonymous