Am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that a two year old still drinks from a bottle?

I'm watching these two children and one still uses a bottle. The mom first told me that he only uses it at night time which is a complete lie. He uses it all the time.

ArkTech

Asked by ArkTech at 10:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A bottle at 2 is just wrong. Ridiculous. Lazy. Ignorant. Argh. I think it's hilarious when women at WIC get chewed out because their older kid is walking around with a bottle hanging out of their teeth. I was so happy that most of my kids self-weaned, as early as 9 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• no I took my dd bottle when she was a little over a year old and had plenty of teeth. It gives them crooked teeth and it just doesnt help them development wise.
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 10:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Ugh I couldn't wait to get my son off bottles. Washing nipples SUCK!

But yeah I think that's little wrong. Have you ever asked the mother why the kid is still using bottles? The kid may throw a fit but if all he is offered is a sippy the next time he's thirsty he is going to use it - and at 2 years old it's not like he won't be able to figure out how...
    Anonymous

• I agree as well.... It's just a crutch after a year and laziness on the parents part.. IMO anyway.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No you are not. My youngest son just turned 1 today and I gave him his last bottle this morning. He will now only use sippy cups or regular cups.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Once upon a time I would have agreed with you. Before I was a mom I worked at a daycare, I babysat, and I was a nanny. I thought that I knew it all and bottles past 1 or so was a big "no no" for me. Now that I am a mom I have a different perspective. It's called "Whatever works." At some point I think that we have to do whatever gets us through the day. I never thought I'd let my son keep his paci for so long (he's almost 21 months). Bottles until 2 years old is not ideal, but neither is my use of the paci. I'm not going to judge another mother for doing what she has to do to soothe her child because I know that sometimes you just have to say "What ever works!"
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Yes, you're the only one...lol just kidding. =)

There's nothing wrong with a two year old, an age I still consider to be a "baby", to use an item designed for a baby. Kids are forced to grow up so damn fast these days...let them have their childhood. If the parents are ok with it, then it's not my place to judge. I know lots of children who used bottles WAY past their second b-day, and today, they are well-adjusted elementary-age children.

My 22 month old drinks milk out of a bottle 3 times a day. It's not a major deal to me, but I would prefer that she use her sippy cups for the milk (she'll drink water from the sippy cups, but not milk). My goal was to have her off the bottles by 18 months, but it obviously didn't happen!! I'm taking a step back and enjoying this precious time with her. She won't be this age ever again. I don't want to waste this time by making a huge fuss over a few bottles of milk!!! KWIM?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It's just as ridiculous as people breastfeeding that long. My girlfriends child is 3 1/2 and she still breastfeeds. It's kind of crazy when your child can put down the hot dog their eating and then jump up on mom's lap for a drink.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• "It's just as ridiculous as people breastfeeding that long"
    Do you realize that breastfeeding for a MINIMUM of 2 year is actually what is recommended by the medical field? I think it's ridiculous to expect a kid to be weaned before that. The only reason anyone thinks it's ridiculous is because in our fast-pace society kids are rushed into growing up and a lot of mom's don't have time or patience for breastfeeding that long. But if we did what was best for kids, they would all be breastfed that long. I resent the insinuation that moms who breastfeed for 2+ years are doing something wrong for their kids!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• ... and anyone who is health-conscious knows that a two-year-old eating a hot-dog is a whole lot more ridiculous than nursing!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2010