Another attempt on the President's life?

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – An Ohio man has been charged after authorities spotted him with a gun in a North Carolina airport parking lot as Air Force One was departing Sunday afternoon.

Joseph McVey, 23, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith. Airport police saw McVey get out of a car about 2 p.m. in the rental car return lot and he had a gun, Smith said. He was taken into custody immediately and was being held at the Buncombe County jail.

Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after vacationing in the state, headed to the memorial service for the 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane and was in a public area.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_nc_airport_arrest

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• haha I read through this too quickly. My first thought was- who the hell vacations in Ohio?

Anonymous

• Wonder if he's related to Timothy McVey?
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• it says: "The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane and was in a public area."

My thoughts are more along the lines of,
    "that poor bastard is being made an example, and probably had no intentions of going any where near the prsident or any one else in a harmful manner". Just because.... thats how F'd up things are sometimes!
    Anonymous

• Many times President Obama has been compared with President Kennedy.
    Anonymous

• so someone in a distant parking lot that probably had business being there forgot that he was carrying a gun, that he probably had a permit for, and it all of a sudden becomes an "attempt on the presidents life"

I'm with anon :53. This is probably just a BS charge. and my nieghbor just bought a used crown vic from a firemen and it came with some strobes still installed on it. No crime there...

Anonymous

• It's Timothy McVeigh, not McVey, so no relation.

The story says they're investigating why he had the gun. If he had a concealed carry permit then there would be no need to investigate that. It sounds to me like the gun is of questionable legality, he has a car that he could use to impersonate an office of the law, and he was hanging around near the president. He might be entirely innocent but it's certainly worth investigating.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Ummm... maybe I'm just ignorant, but, at any given time there may be guys hanging around with guns, right? I just say that because my brother was here the other day and I woke up to find a gun lying on my dining room floor next to his junk. I just thought of him reading this.... I'm kinda' disgusted by the attempt to make this a newsworthy story. So do the investigation and then if you come up with something, let us know, people! If someone takes a shot at the president, I'll find that newsworthy. I hope that doesnt happen, though, because then he'd go down in history as some sort of hero....
    Anonymous

• Probably as much of a real threat as the thing on Facebook, imo.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• omg that thing on facebook is so blown out of proportion! i'm so sick of it.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• He is probably a freak who has been pulling over people. Since Aug 09 there have been multiple reports of men impersonating cops all over Ohio and they haven't made one arrest. Probably a weirdo playing cop. I doubt your Messiah was his target... rest easy Sweet.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010