If you've had pharyngitis, what antibiotic did your doctor give you? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• Pharyngitis is a fancy word for sore throat. There are two parts to the throat, the pharynx and the larynx. The pharynx is the upper part and larynx is the lower part where the voicebox is. I went to the doctor in high school with a horrible sore throat and he diagnosed me with pharyngitis and gave me ibuprofen samples. I was thinking, I don't go to the doctor unless I'm REALLY sick and you diagnose me with pharyngitis? Thanks a lot! Tell me something I DIDN"T know!

So, you can take ibuprofen for the pain. You can gargle salt water, that helps with the inflammation. Don't eat any sugar or dairy.... Good luck!
    P.S. I'm a nurse.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Was recently diagnosed withbronchitis/sinusitis and was given the antibiotic erithromyacin. If it is truly a sore throat as stated by the nurse above,no antibiotic is necessary
    Callie140

Answer by Callie140 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You won't get an antibiotic for a basic sore throat. Even if it's more, if it's viral, an antibiotic won't help. An antibiotic will only be a good thing if you have a bacterial infection - which anymore a LOT of what goes around is viral.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• NO!! Pharyngitis is a little more than a sore throat. It is an infection that does cause symptoms relative to laryngitis. What's different is that pharyngitis can cause your throat to swell so much that it can block your breathing. It should NOT be taken that lightly. Do not lay on your back while sleeping, as this could cause more swelling. My dh had it one year and he was given Keflex. I'm sure your dr gave you what you needed.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2010