If you agree with Breed Specific Laws - Did you know?

First that the "Pit Bull" is not a recognized breed of dog. There are many mutts that are referred to as a pit bull, so classification is difficult.

Yet only an average 31 deaths per year are caused by dogs [all breeds]

However the White-Tail deer not only causes approx 130 deaths per year on the road; they also carry ticks with Lyme disease affecting about 13,000 people per year. The cost of both about 2.7 million dollars each year!
Makes you stop and think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not into protecting ANY species at the cost of human lives, white-tailed deer or pit-bulls.
    Anonymous

• I used to feel sorry for Bambi until I almost got killed on the highway because of a deer. Now, even though I think hunting is completely disgusting, I support it. And yes, I support breed specific laws.
    Anonymous

• what ever. Are you the same anon that was mad that a potential landlord told you "No Large dogs" in their rental house?

Let me tell you the difference between deer and pit bulls... a pit bull is far more likely to maul your child to death than a deer is. Yes, deer cross the road and cars hot them. But deer do not chase you down and rip your throat out!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I agree with breed specific laws, just as I agree with exotic pet laws.

Anonymous

• #1 - it isn't about protecting anything over a person. What it is about is blaming an entire breed (one that doesn't even exist) for the actions of a few irresponsible pet owners.

And if we're going to ban this animal because their OWNERS won't control them; then perhaps we should consider banning these wild animals that no one has control of - only seems fair right?
    Anonymous

• Veronica no sorry I don't know to what post you are referring. Actually I just saw several articles today about deer being the most deadly mammal and found it interesting that we are so afraid of pets.

BTW people train dogs to chase you down and attack you; they don't do it out of malicious intent. Same with children; the blame should be on the owner; not the animal.
    Anonymous

• When are people going to realize that it's not the owners? That pits and other large dogs have always been fighting and guard dogs? You can train any animal but sooner or later it's going to attack.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• From January 1, 2005 to March 8, 2010, DogsBite.org recorded 158 U.S. fatal dog attacks.4 Pit bulls were responsible for 56% (88) of these deaths.

This is equivalent to a pit bull killing an American citizen every 21.5 days during this time period.5 Rottweilers, the second leading killer and positioned far behind pit bulls, accounted for 15% (23) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 70% (111) of attacks that resulted in the death of a U.S. citizen.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/03/us-dog-bite-fatalities-january-1-2005.html

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Are you all aware of how many dogs are even on BSL lists? It's not just "pit bulls" which again isn't any one breed of dog.

In varying places all over this country; different cities; counties; townships; states; etc...up to 75 breeds have been banned!

75!

I don't think it will let me put it here so I'll make a new reply
    Anonymous

• But I will agree that they don't count pit bull attacks because almost every time some sees a dog attack they say it was a pit bull. I read that somewhere.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010