My husband travels for a living. Do you think we can still adopt?

My husband and I have been dating for 14 years and married for 7 of those years. We have a wonderful loving home that is missing one important thing, a child. We have had our struggles trying to create our family and have come to realize that adoption is the direction we are meant to take. We want a child to cherish, nurture, raise, educate and love.

I am an elementary school teacher. My husband is a lighting designer and production manager. We have a home in a family friendly community with good public schools. We can financially support a child and we know that we can give a child the opportunity for a college education at the school of their choice.

The only major objection that I can foresee a birth mother having is that my husband travels for a living. He is away from home about 200 days a year.

Do you think this will keep birth mothers from choosing our family for their precious baby?

LorisBaby

Asked by LorisBaby at 10:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• yes I do I know a single woman that adopted.. well some moms who choose a closed adoption may not have a choice.. find out your laws on adoption..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If you pursue domestic adoption, it could take longer for you to match with a child because prospective birth mothers may have concerns about his travel. However, birth mothers select single parents on occasion and may be more interested in the fact that your child will have a father who is responsible and does well in his field and may be far less interested in how many days he travels. I would never suggest that you lie but there is no reason for the number of days that he travels to feature prominently in your profile. If you adopt internationally it is not likely to come up at all.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 12:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• YES! : )
    Anonymous

• We adopted twice internationally, and my husband is Active Army, so he deploys. That obviously didn't stop us. =) Good luck to you!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 1:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• honestly this is not a critisism of your family but yes it may be more difficult. I wanted two parents there more than 5o% of the time. My dad travels about 35% of the time and I did n't want more than that away from home.A full time dad is one of the reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Suzy, didn't you just ask a mother considering adoption to please consider the effects of not having a father around?
    Anonymous