Need suggestions to get my 5 year old to pick up her clothes...

Overall I do pick up after my kids but I also know it's important that they learn early on how to be responsible for themselves and their belongings. For example there are certain toys they are responsible for putting away, if it's not taken care of then they lose the toy for a few days or longer depending on how many times they forget to take care of it. They also bring their dirty dishes to the counter next to the sink and they like to help me load the dishwasher. They've also been taught to pick up their clothes and put them in the laundry baskets and my 4 year old is very good at picking up after herself, however my 5 year old will take off her clothes and leave them all over the house. She'll also search her dresser, tossing clothes around, searching for whatever particular outfit she wants to wear. I have to stand over her to make sure she picks up the clothes. Everything else she does well with - just not her clothes.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I "pay" mine. I use fake money and she gets 'x" amount for each chore. She can then trade her dollars in for things like, rent a movie, extra tv time, new toy etc etc
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 11:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I have 3 girls...the 17 and 18 yr old, I have been battleing this their entire life, they just don't care and I have tried everything! I even put up coat racks to get them to hang up jackets because heaven forbide they open a closet door and hang things on hangers....one throws her jackets on the kitchen table and the other thinks the couch is best. When it comes to most girls it is an emdless battle and i thank God my 4th child is a boy! lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• do you have room in her closet for one of those 7 day hanging fabric shelves? in one day she could choose her outfits for the week, and avoid searching and tossing while looking for what she wants.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2010