What would you have done? Was I wrong?

The other day my son (21 mos.) was being really cranky. Earlier that day I'd told my husband I'd like to run to Wal Mart later to pick up a few things so when the time came I said I'd rather wait until the next day because I didn't want to take our son out while he was in such a cranky mood but my stubborn husband insisted that we go just to get out of the house and everything would be fine. So we drove to the store and sure enough our son threw a fit when we tried to get out of the car. So I told my husband I was NOT going in the store with him screaming his head off but I sure wasn't going to waste that trip so I ran in and grabbed the few things I needed while he waited in the car. When I came out he was mad at me for leaving him in the car while our son was throwing a tantrum and "we should have just gone home" but I told him it was his stubborn fault for insisting we go in the first place. Was I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Nope. At least not to me.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I think this is a really silly thing to fight over. Toddlers are unpredictable, maybe getting out of the house would have helped, but maybe staying home was the better idea. I think you both made the best out of the situation and you should let it go.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• haha oh I should add we didn't dwell on it...we were both over the situation by the time we went to bed that night. It is done and over with just wondering what other's would have done.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp's. I don't think either of you were wrong. Getting out of the house could have been what you both needed, it didn't work, so since you were already there, you just ran in to get the stuff really fast (he's the father, he should be able to be alone with the child while they're having a tantrum...)

Maybe though, next time something like this comes up, maybe a better solution would be for him to stay home with the child while you go to the store alone.

I would just let it go if I were the two of you though :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I don't think you were. I think you should've stood your ground and stayed home with your son. You knew what would happen and it did happen. Your son threw a tantrum due to his cranky mood. It is technically nobody's fault since you agreed to follow your husband's suggestion even though he was wrong to suggest it. He has no right to be mad as he chose to take a cranky toddler out and then agreed to stay in the car while you ran in. All in all you guys should've stayed home and just let his cranky mood ride out. In the end it doesn't matter either way. Pick your battles, because this certainly isn't one that's worth the fight.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No, I don't think you were wrong at all. It's his child too and he should have to put up with the screaming & tantrums too. It's not just your "job." I think you needed a break and did what you could to get away from the situation temporarily and get the things you needed as well. Sometimes even when you're married you can feel like a single parent. Tell DH to grow up and get over it.
    Anonymous