Terrible Twos! HELP!

My DD will be 2 in July. She has def his the terrible twos. I don’t know what to do when we are out places. She runs away from me, she will pitch a fit if she can’t get out of the stroller, she will stand in the cart or try to get out. We will be at a resturaunt and within 5 minutes she wants out. She’s very active and climbs everything. I try to distract her with food, crayons, toys, “hey look at this!” type stuff, it doesn’t work for very long. I am embarrassed. I feel like I have no control over my kid. I don’t see other kids getting out of their seats and running around the restaruant!! L I don’t want to make a scene in front of people either that makes it worse. What do I DO?! Please help! I need ideas.

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time for some tough lovin'- She is old enough to say "you must hold Mommas hand, if you run you go back in the stroller" And then STICK to it. Let her walk as long as she holds your hand, but as soon as she takes off back in the stroller - doesn't matter what noise she makes- every other mother in the mall will know exactly how you feel & be just grateful it isn't them today! If she's in the cart tell her " stay on your butt or you go in the car" & then carry it out - Leave the trolley in the centre of the store if necessary & go to the car. You have to show her that you are willing to stop anything & make her obey you. That includes getting up from Dinner to take her away, leaving the groceries, putting up with screaming & kicking. Give LOTS of praise when she does the right thing - walk all the way around the supermarket crooning " you are such a good girl sitting nicely, I\m so happy with you.." cont'd
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I want to thank you for posting this because it means I am not alone! My son will be 2 in August and had been this way for a few months now. Thankfully it seems to be getting a little better but sorry, I can't really give you a miracle cure because honestly all we've been doing is everything we know how! I do hope someday it will improve because I know what it's like to not want to take your kid anywhere. I will wait and see if anyone here has any adivce I haven't already tried. Just know you are not alone!
    Anonymous

• Make the first times really easy - walking holding Mommas hand to the pet shop - if you run, we don't see the animals- be sure you are within easy distance - keep saying, "good girl for holding hands, you are being such a big girl" If she tries to run, drop to you knees & hold her,Tell her very quietly in a low neutral voice "you must hold my hand or we go home" Don't get up or let go til she 'chooses' to hold hands. Then lots of praise as you keep walking. Make sure there is nothing else urgent so you have plenty of time. After seeing the puppies for a little while pick her up & go back to the beginning. "let's walk to see the puppies again" Repeat again - Have a special treat for great behaviour & heap on the praise.It's like teaching a puppy to walk on a leash.. - she is not ready for a couple of hours at a restarant -try cake & coffee first, but be prepared to walk away & go home- and make sure you have plenty of time.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2010