Immigration and learning English

If English is not the official language of the US (and it's not) then why are immigrants required to learn English in order to get legal status? I don't think the requirement should be removed; I agree that immigrants should pass an English test in order to get citizenship rights because those come with responsibilities like jury duty and voting. It just seems odd that the government can require it when it's not actually an official language.

RhondaVeggie

Asked by RhondaVeggie at 11:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Part of the citizenship test is checking that an immigrant can speak, write, and read English. It's generally quite informal, the interviewer might ask the interviewee to read a few sentences and write some stuff down but they can reject you if you can't conduct the interview in English. There are exceptions for the elderly or for those with learning disabilities and such but the vast majority of immigrants need to show a level of English proficiency.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I didn't think it required them to know English.
    Anonymous

• To become Naturalized you have to take the test. The test is translated to different languages.
    Anonymous

• Probably because police officers, doctors, lawyers and such speak English. If they didn't know basic English then how would they speak to someone if they needed help?
    I think it would be in their best interest to learn English.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• when it's not actually an official language.
    ----
    When is the last time that Congress passed a bill that was written in Spanish? All official documents in the US are written in English. All official business (state, national) is conducted in English. So, why would I not think that English is the "official" language of The United States?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Its never been stated that English IS the Official language so until then WE have NO official language

I think it would be in their best interest to learn English ( i agree)
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I think it should be required... i didn't think it was. Thing is, the majority of America (for now) speaks English. That is what government business is conducted in. We wouldn't need "bilingual" jobs if everyone spoke English, which would make more jobs available to people who spoke English (ya know, CITIZENS!). My husband works for Home Depot and they are trying to force the current associates to learn spanish if they don't already, and all new employees have to be bilingual. How are any "normal" people supposed to get jobs? It'll be all the mexicans who came here and somehow learned English for the most part. I'm not racist by any means, but my husband's job that he got laid off from was lost only because he wasn't bilingual. he can't be fired from HD b/c he isn't bilingual since he already works there, but im sure most people looking for jobs in the economy arent bilingual... shouldnt have to be.... SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• UMMM...just because you speak spanish does NOT mean you arent a CITIZEN...like where the hell did that idea come from??
    i know plenty of white ppl that speak spanish nd its NOT becaue its required of them,or because they are married/related to MEXICANS<---since you assume all ppl who speak spnish are mexican.LMAO

lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes, The US has not declared English as the language BUT 27 STATES HAVE! See there is this thing that is great about the Constitution. What isn't granted to the Nation is granted to the STATES! So since the NATION can not declare one language the STATES CAN! And they ARE! One by one they are making their states have the official language of English! Beautiful huh?

Immigrants are required to know simple English. That way they can read a stop sign since we don't have a little translation that says detenerse and other simple signs.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• No matter what anyone believes, communication is the key to success if not survival.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2010