how old is too oldto twke a bottle to bed?

My youngest daughter is 2 (just turned 2) and she still takes a bottle to bed, her big sis stopped when she was 1 1/2 and i hate to compare, but i have no other kids to compare her to. my question is it ok for her to be doing that?

JennyDC

Asked by JennyDC at 11:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as its just water its fine. If the whole bottle is milk then no it can ruin her teeth.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My kids never had a bottle in bed. They had a bottle before bed until 14-15 months. But they laid on my lap, or DH's, or something, never had it in bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Sorry to say, at no age should they take a bottle of milk to bed - any dentist would have a fit reading this!!! If it is just water, I don't think there is any age where you say you can't have a drink at night. If she will have a sippy cup during the day, then you could get rid of all bottles right now, give her milk etc in the sippy cup , then water in the cup at night -- there are no rules Mommy, it is entirely up to you, some Moms would crucify you for having bottles over age 1 ( another question a couple of hours ago AR%GHHH) other moms are more relaxed and tell you to relax about it all . There are no rules, it's your child and you should do whatever feels right for you and her.
    Good Luck Momma
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• There are no set rules for giving up a bottle . I say when she's ready you will know . My kids had a bottle in bed but they are now 19 and 15 . Things were different then.
    Bianca008

Answer by Bianca008 at 6:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Never should they take a bottle to bed. But since she is, I would take it away. Give her a sippy cup before bed, but don't let her take it to bed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I agree with the other posters. Taking a bottle of milk to bed at this age is bad for her teeth. We were advised to get rid of the bottle at 1. It took until 15 months for our son to get the hang of the sippy cup at which point the bottles went away. However, he never took one to bed with him. If your child has to have a bottle at tnight, make it water and save yourself a lot of future dental work...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• bottle or sippy with water is fine. bottle or sippy with milk may cause tooth rot. but honestly, not all kids that go to bed with a bottle of milk get rotten teeth, so that may not be the culprit.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Any age is too old for a bottle in bed IMO. Babies shouldn't have them in bed and toddlers are too old. And beyond 12-15 months a child should be off a bottle I think. I'd give a sippy of water to keep in her room if she gets thristy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I agree...NEVER let them take one to bed (unless it is ONLY water--no milk, juice, etc.)...
    children can have a bottle as long as they need it through WIC recommends stopping at 1.5 years... if it is not harming their teeth--and it works--go ahead... but NOT in bed...
    JenniferRose09

Answer by JenniferRose09 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010