Homeschooling fights?

I homeschool my children and they sometimes fight from sun up to sun down, no joke. I feel like a referee and I honestly dont know if i can do this. Am i the only mom dealing with this??> Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I homeschool as well. Some days are like that; some moments are like that, but they do get along and play with each other more now then ever before. We pulled them out of public school 2 years ago. Our first year was a nightmare, there was a lot more fighting between the 2 of them then there is now. It was as if over time they learned how to work together again. This was accomplished by having them do projects together as much as possible. Even if it was just working together to clean a certain room.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• LOL I don't home school, but my kids do the same thing!!! I think it's just a sibling thing really! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• As a teacher, I suggest looking into project based lessons where they learn to work together with your guidance. Also look into the Tribes book. It helps build cohesion.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• PUT THE KIDS BUTT IN SCHOOL U WOULD FELL O HOLE LOT BETTER ! I DID !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I homeschool my two daughters and there are days when we have issues - I'm sure everyone does. If your kids are able to work together at all, pick a project that would interest them both and let them work on it together. Some days, though, we have what my girls call a room day. They both work in their rooms, away from each other. Other times when they are just being snitty and won't work together at all they are assigned a "lesson in cooperation". Usually ours is something not very fun (like cleaning their bathroom) that they must do together and without fighting - they fight, they get another task. The first few times they had several things to do, but now, we hardly ever have to do this and when we do it's a one and done situation.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Do you mean in general or while you're trying to get them to do work, or what?

We HS but only have 1, but if you mean while they are doing their work, you could separate them if you can trust them to do their work individually. If you have a movie or show that Child 1 needs to watch then have Child 2 sitting and doing their math somewhere else during that time. If you have something on the computer for Child 2, have them do that and have Child 1 elsewhere working on their history, or whatever subject you need.

You could also separate them temporarily if it's a non-work related thing. Send them to their rooms. Put them in separate rooms. Have them do separate activities for a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I suggest the book, Siblings Without Rivalry. It gives great advice on how to stop the fighting, and how to get your kids to start communicating instead.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• OP here. I mean always. At dinner, bathtime, any time, they might fight. It is so stressful.

Scout mom, what other activities do you give? I don't think mine can clean the bathroom.
    Anonymous