Christians, what is the youngest age you have seen a child grasp the concept of God and Jesus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That would have been me,,back in like 1964...when my mom was pinching tights up my legs and thrusting gloves on my little fingers,,,,At two,,,I was tought about God,,,,we did dress up to go into Gods home,,,it hurt like crazy to go into Gods home...but I got the concept at a very early age,,and through alot of pain there in. Later I was to go to Catholic School,,,dont even get me started...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Actually understand it on their own with out brain washing would be around 12 yrs old.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Grasp the concept of God? or say they accept Jesus as their Savior? I have seen little kids as young as 4 or 5 say it, but I don't believe a child can actually grasp the idea of needing a Savior and accepting Christ until much older. I have had my friends call me from the children's ministry all excited to tell me how my "daughter accepted Christ" this evening... and they are shocked at my lack of reaction. And I tell them well she has said it several times before, this isn't the first time and won't be her last. Nearly half of all adult baptisms we do start out with a story of how the person accepted Christ as a child but didn't really understand and then rededicated their life later. I personally do not think a child can "get it". I think that happens later when they become a teen or adult.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I can't think of any child who truly grasps the concept, but I know plenty who tell their parents what they want to hear because they like to make their parents proud and happy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• 3.. that would be my boys... children understand soon than adults too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I agree with notpanicking. Most children will do or say anything to please their parental figures
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• my daughter at the age of 4 was telling ME about God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Grasping the concept of God is lifelong. For me it began as a child and I continue to learn more of His grace, His mercy, His power, His love, His provision, His perfection, His will and His word daily. I don't think we will grasp Him completely until the day we meet. But one thing is certain, it is beautiful getting to know Him.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well said deedee.

My 3 year old son randomly tells us often that, "Jesus LOVES me!" That's all he needs to know right now :-) My 6 year old understands a lot more and has surprising insight into many concepts surrounding God and our beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and I got it very very young. I don't even remember asking questions or anything which means I was under 4 or so. I think children grasp more than we think. I no longer am part of my mothers religion and she respects that and I teach my DD more Pagan ways(her father was raised Pagan) and she gets it I think and she's 2 1/2

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010