Son's OT office asked us to change therapists but fabricated reason. Advice please.

Today the place my son goes to for Occupational Therapy called to ask me if we would mind changing therapists to this new guy that works there. They said it was because the owner and the therapist thought it would be a better fit for my son. What upsets me is that well first off I know the real reason they did this and it is because of an incident that happened last week when I was there. And yes I informed the receptionist that called that I knew why they wanted us to change. See last week the parents of one of the kids that see this new therapist had walked back to see how his OT session was going and came right back and went up to the receptionist to tell her that they had seen the therapist hit there child on the arm because he wasn't cooperating with him. They were pretty upset and the owner even brought my sons therapist out to speak with them. I was sitting right there the whole time. How would you feel?

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, it doesn't sound like this therapy center has your child's best interests at heart. Unless the OT is phenomenal with your child, it wouldn't hurt to start looking around at other options in the area. If you know the parents of the child that was hit, you may also want to put a bug in their ear about calling their insurance company to let them know that there are issues with this provider. If you hit a company in their pocketbook, they are less likely to piss off the customer in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• So the new therapist is the one that hit a kid? And now they want you to switch to him? I wouldn't like that one bit. But then again I was always present for every therapy appoinment in the room with my daughter. Why don't they have you with the child? Isn't part of the point of having the therapy learning how to help your child on your time at home as well?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I wouldnt change and if they insist then I would change to another office. One thing I have always kept in mind when dealing with situations like this for my son is that I am the one paying for the session even if my insurance covers part of it or all of it I am still the one who has the ultimate say, I have fired therapist before when they have acted in a way that is harmful to my child's progress. Hitting is NEVER okay and I would NOT allow my child to be seen by that person especially not alone.

I fired one therapist who suggested i was pushing my problems on my child and needed to be medicated after I told her that sedating my son wouldnt solve his sensory problems, i then fired the doctor who referred us to her. If a doctor/therapist does not have your childs best interest in mind then walking away and finding someone who does is the best thing you can do.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Like killing the therapist for abusing a defenseless child who they were supposed to be helping....

And I'm a big fan of slow and painful when it comes to child abusers....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'm not sure why they would want you to switch to a new therapist b/c he hit another kid on the arm. I'm not seeing the connection. BUT...I wouldn't want my kid seeing someone who hit another kid, so I would just flat out tell them no. And I would explain WHY I won't switch. And if they insist with the "better fit" line, then you just tell them that you appreciate their input, but you are mom and in the end you know best, and you feel the better fit is where he is now or to switch him to so and so, but not new therapist. Also...I don't know how you'd go about it, but if it's possible to report the therapist to some licensing agency or something along those lines, I would do that as well.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• If your happty where your son is now , then just say that you don't want to change . that your happy wheres he at.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• To clarify for a pp I am sure that they wanted us to change to this new therapist because the parents of the other child who was hit don't want to take there child back to that therapist anymore. It was just more convenient to ask us since we go at the same time as they do. Of course I said NO I just find it hard to believe the owner actually thought I would buy there reason for the change that they tried to give when I was right there in the waiting room when the incident with the other therapist happened.
    cutie222

Answer by cutie222 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 26, 2010