The Summer Away...

My mother wants my children - ages 7 and 3 - to stay with her this summer for about a month and a half. I live in Southern Texas and she lives in Kansas. Well, I'm okay with the 7yo going because she WANTS too. She WANTS to and I think she will be fine. She loves my mother and just absolutely wants too. My 3yo, on the other hand, says she wants to go but she's 3 and she's my baby. I don't want to hurt my moms feelings - AND she (my mom) was suppose to come here this summer to spend time with my kids while I went to class so this whole turn of events is backing me into a corner. I don't know. I'll miss my baby and she's so attached to me. My husband said we could webcam each other every night. I don't know.
What do y'all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My six year old right now is in Taiwan with his grandparents (we live in Fl). He's been there for about four weeks, and I have another three weeks to go before I see him again. I miss him like crazy, but he is doing great. He is having so much fun, and learning so many new things. We video chat about once a week (12 hour time difference makes coordinating difficult, otherwise it would be more often). My four year old stayed home, and the plan is that next year he will go for two months, and my oldest will stay home. Each year after that they will continue to rotate, one staying and one going.

Personally I think it is important for children to learn to be with out their parents. If the worst were to ever happen to me and their father, I want them to know they have other adults around who love them, and can take care of them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• thats a loooooooooooooooong time to go without seeing your kids!! 6 weeks!!!!!! yikes!! my daughter was gone for 1 week last summer with her dad (she was 5) and it was the longest week of my life!! however, it woulda been a different story if she was with my parents..cuz i completely tust them!! why not just let them for for 2-3 weeks??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i would definately see about a shorter time. i would expect that even the 7 year old will miss you guys a lot more than you think. i know i couldn't and wouldnt do it. i would just explain that it is too long for you and your kids to be apart - and a webcam is not the same as actually spending time with them.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• With all that said, three is a bit young. Perhaps you can work out a shorter trip, like others have posted, or maybe suggest a rotating schedule like I have set up with my boys. As much as I love and trust their grandparents, I could never send both my boys, so far away, for so long, at the same time. I would go completely bonkers if I tried.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• my2.5boys, are you the same poster who had asked a while ago about something relating to your son going abroad with your parents, and the fact that he'd be in school there, etc? Just curious, was wondering how it's going so far for him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes that was me. So far he is loving it. He has joined a private kindergarten class. None of the kids in his class speak any English, but the teacher speaks a little. He participates in all the activities, but he is not being graded. His Aunt is an English major, and is giving him private tutoring lessons each morning before school. Not only is she helping him to learn more Chinese, she is also helping him with reading and phonics in English. He has had the chance to visit a Tea Plantation to see how tea goes from growing in the field, to a beverage in your cup. He has taken an eight hour train tour to see the country. He loves the night market, where he won a pet crab; he named it Spike. He went to an engagement party, where it is tradition for a young male, on the grooms side to be presented with a chicken leg and a red envelope containing humboa (money). They presented this to him, and the chicken leg was as big as he is.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• He is now convinced that there are giant chickens running around Taiwan. He has adjusted well, and although I'm sure he does, he doesn't seem to be missing home.

His younger brother is thriving here at home as well. His whole life he has lived in his brother's shadow, and is now able to shine. He is learning who he is as an individual. Both boys are being relentlessly spoiled, and I know I am going to have my hands full when they finally get back together. But hey, everyone deserves to spoiled now and then.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• ORIGINAL POSTER - I don't think my youngest would GO without my oldest. That's why I wouldn't want to send them apart. Plus my mom is SO excited. She is getting new bedroom furniture (she just moved a while ago) for them. She's planning her whole schedule. But yeah, I will probably let my 3yo go for 2-3 weeks MAYBE but then go get her.
    I'm glad to hear your son is doing so well. That makes me feel better! LOL! They know how much I love them and I asked my oldest daughter if she wanted to go. She looked at me for a minute and I said "Don't say 'no' just because you think I will be sad. Answer how you really feel" and she said yes, she really wanted to go. So I think she will have a blast.
    Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2010