MA or LPN??

I am a 24 year old mother and I just started going to school for medical assisting, now I did do ALOT of research on this field before I enrolled, I know all the differences between LPNs RNs and MAs. I would really rather do the nursing program BUT there is a 2 year waiting list for it and you HAVE to be enrolled to be on the waiting list meaning I wouldve had to waste alot of money and time in courses I didnt need and since I am a mother who does have to work I am not able to do that..BUT ANYWAY..alot of people have been saying that MA programs are a waste of time and isnt really a profession and you should just go into nursing etc ..but like I said theres a waiting list and I can be finished and have a job by the time I would be starting the nursing program (granted not making as much $$ as an LPN or RN) but with all this negative feedback I'm starting to doubt my decison. So what would you do in my shoes?

lalasmom8

Asked by lalasmom8 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• MAs or CNAs usually only make about $8 an hour where I live. You could go to Food Lion and make more than that.

What schools are you looking at? Community colleges? There are even some institutes now that only deal with medical careers.

In the 2 years that youd have to wait, you could get all your prerequisites out of the way.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 1:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• MA school is a waste of money. Seriously, go for nursing......more money and more job prospects.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I live in CA and the truth here is that a MA may pay up to $15/hour but you need to be bilingal to even get the job. If you do LVN you are usually stuck in SNF and when you work there you have to be prepared to deal with death. finish your MA, get some experience, take you prereqs and go further. have you looked into coding and billing?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 2:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2010