Does this always indicate autism???

Okay, I'm OCD (like clinically...not just omg I'm so ocd!). Anyway, my daughter loves lining up all of her toys in a straight line. She does this with everything. Then of course I read that it's a sign of autism. She has no other symptoms other than the face that she doesn't usually like to be held, but that's just because she's so active. She is very affectionate, though, and gives and kisses and will "cuddle" with me when she needs some love. She has always been very advanced in language, motor skills, did all physical things early, and is at the level of a four year old in some areas and she is only two. (My mom told me as she had to have a class on development for her job). She does use phrases from TV shows, but this is definitely not even a fraction of her vocab. She does well with no routine and gets along well with other kids. So...is the lining things up thing just a weird habit??? I know...I'm insane...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Lining things up at this age is normal, and yes it is one of MANY clues that a child may have autism. My son was very much like your daughter very advanced, affectionate with us but with other people he was different. He also had sensory issues, paced in patterns, rocked, didnt understand how to interact with people he didnt see on a regular basis and even some who saw him nearly everyday still were greeted with being ignored or the theme song to bob the builder.

To me it sounds like your DD is on track and from what you describe there are no real red flags. If you truly think there could be an issue keep an eye out. In our case it didnt happen slowly over a period of time, it happened litterally over night, one day my son got up and started pacing and it progressed from there.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• OP-- She is generally good with others too. If it's someone she doesn't know very well or hasn't seen in awhile, it takes her a few minutes to warm up. So she'll kind of sit with me or DH for a few minutes and then slowly ease her way into talking with the person and within ten minutes she's following them around chatting up a storm. No pacing...but she DOES rock herself to sleep. Not generally otherwise though, only when she's tired...she's used rock back and forth in bed as a self soothing mechanism since she was around six months. Now I'm wondering if THAT is normal. In terms of other kids...she often doesn't even need to ease into being around them, only grownups. She'll follow a kid around chatting them up as soon as they show up... I'm just in an obsessive mood lately, and when that happens, everything is a sign of a serious problem...so bear with me. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Even with the rocking you describe she really sounds like a normal well adjusted child who is advanced for her age :) All 3 of my kids are advanced but only my oldest is on the spectrum so I understand looking at kids and disecting everything they do I did it with my younger two looking for signs that they would have the same issues as their brother. Even now with my youngest being 5 I still watch and question myself, it is normal to worry. I honestly think your lil one sounds like she is doing just fine and there is no cause to worry :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• you being OCD she likely learned the behaviour from you momma. you might wanna see about trying to not do your OCD behaviours where she can see them.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• OP-- Most of mine is internal, meaning I don't do the rituals. In fact, I wasn't sure if I was classified as OCD or just anxiety and hypochondria until recently when I found out that excessive thoughts, prayers, etc... are also consider ritual behaviors for some people. However, even if I don't do anything like that around her...I still agree with you. Kids are very perceptive and she probably picks up some of my tension when I am obsessive...which may in turn make her that way. Who knows? Maybe she has a very mild case that is presenting itself already? My mom had it BAD as a kid (fine now for the most part), I had it semi moderate and was just "a worrier" without the rituals...so maybe dd will just be very precise and everything has to be "just so" or something if it keeps following the pattern of being less severe with each generation. (my grandma also had SOMETHING and she was always ranting and raving.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• The typical Autistic child are loners, they are in their own world. they generally are not cuddly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Everyone is on the spectrum nowadays if they're a little quirky. She doesn't sound severe so don't sweat about it. Don't focus on a diagnoses when it isn't getting in the way of her learning development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son also lines things up constantly and not in the "normal" way. With things like his cars, he doesn't always line them up by the front of the car. Instead he lines them up by their front axles. He displays a few other behaviors that had me concerned enough to ask his neuro-psychologist. He told me that the lining things up was an autism flag behavior, but that my son is also very bright (118 IQ after being non-compliant for about half the test) and very bright children can exhibit behaviors that parallel autism because they seek to control their space a bit better. It probably doesn't help that I am also diagnosed OCD and his daddy and I are very stubborn and often hyper-focused.

OP, I'd say that it bears watching, but I wouldn't get upset about it. Even if it does turn out to be autism later on, there is so much treatment available for these children now that they manage quite well in life.
    Eris822

Answer by Eris822 at 7:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I have three kids. None of them have been diagnosed with autism or on the spectrum and all three at one time lined things up by color, by size by shape. It could just be a developement thing.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• No it doesn't. It is more of a developmental thing. I wouldn't worry about it. Also, OCD has a genetic component. I would just keep an eye on her and as she develops, if you see anything out of the ordinary then have her evlauated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2010