buying a house in this economy..would you do it?

We are a family of 4 right now we live in a townhouse. We love our townhouse but my dd's don't have a yard to play in also the area were we live is getting pretty bad. we would like to give our dd's a better place to live in a better area. Im a SAHM so the only income we have is my DH. Well we have been looking around for a house but, the houses that are in our price range & for the amount of room we want its 60mil away from my DH job. He said he doesn't mind the drive from M-F. That he will make the sacrefice for the fam. I don't realy want to do it because He will be gone all day. we won't really see him he would leave around 6 a.m & come back at 9 p.m no family time or dinner time. Im scare that this might affect our relation ship. Not that he'll cheat on me but, the comunication part. I want the best for my DD's i don't know what to do.
CONT...

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 2:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• if he is willing to make such a sacrafice for the good of the family why arent you? My husband works sometimes 90 hours in one week, he works out of town alot and sometimes he isnt even home on weekends, he does this so i can be a full time student and mom and be here for our kids, so i sit here lonely when hes gone, but so greatful for the sacrafice he is willing to make for our family, that it doesnt even matter, sometimes when he is home during the week hes asleep within 20 minutes of being home we have very limited family time, but the kids understand, when they "forget" and ask why he isnt here or wont be home i remind them, do you like our house? do you like being able to go on vacation? do you like being able to get new things? do you like me being able to be home for you guys? that is why he is not home, because he loves us so much he is willing to work his a$$ of to make sure we dont want for anything
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• We only have 2 options stay & wait & hope that the market goes down some more or move way out 60 mil away from DH job & fam. Yes ill be at home with the girls alone. I need advice what would u do if u were in my shoes?
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 2:43 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Hmmm. Honestly, the market seems to be at rock bottom right now. That's why so many people are holding off on selling. So I'm not sure hoping for lower prices in your area would be feasible. What about finding a fixer upper? Is DH handy at all...or YOU for that matter? Our plan since our home won't sell for much is to buy a house that needs some TLC and use the rest of the money to make it livable. Then each pay period we can add something...paint, flooring, etc... if it's not all done. Ideal? No...but we'll get to "make it our own" so to speak. The only other idea I can think of is possibly talking someone down in price if there are any properties in your area that are just slightly above your price range. As I said, the market is bad and some people may be willing to negotiate. If there was NO way to make the house cheaper and your income isn't going up any time soon...60 miles isn't SO bad of a drive. My dad cont'd
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• used to drive 1 1/2 hours to and from work each day, and he still had plenty of family time. He got up early, yes, but when he got home we got to spend time with him for several hours before bed. I guess it depends on your lifestyle. If you see your mom or dad or sisters etc several times a week and can't live without that interaction...then you should probably stay because it's not worth giving that up. If you see them once a week or less, the drive is doable and it just may require moving some schedules around a bit. For instance, having dinner at 7 rather than 5 so dh can eat with the family, moving the kids' bedtime back a half hour so they get more time with him, etc... Follow your heart and imagine each scenario...which one feels "right?"
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes I would do it.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2010