how can I stop my daughter crying?

She is almost 7 yreas and she is smart but she cries all the time. when she is frustrated , can't do her home work and so on. her teacher complains too. she said she cries if the bell rings and she didn't finish writing , or when she gives her worksheet to do it, she cries and leave the paper, she cries and distract the whole class . I talked to her but she couldn't help it. she also cried when I talked to her about it> I need help, please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can't control kids emotions & she probably needs the tears as a release. Talk to the teacher about strategies to help - getting her to handout the worksheets so she has a couple mins to absorb the fact that this is the new work, a reward chart for days she has got through without tears, special rewards like helping do the flag, or 2 minute early mark, a warning system that she's running out of work time & a special folder to bring home work to be completed.
    Next talk to your daughter but ignore all the tears- act as though you can't see them. If she becomes hard to understandcalmly tell her " I can't understand you, so I will go out - you come get me when you are able to talk" Repeat repeat repeat . She has to be allowed to express her emotions & some kids just have them closer to the surface, but you need to walk away & let her calm down. Even if you walk back in & out again in 2 minutes, she will learn to control it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My 17 yr old was diagnosed with general anxeity disorder at age 10 because of her over emotional behavior. she takes Xanax and it has done wonders for her
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• There are many reasons why she could be crying; from anxiety to food intolerances. We can't always control our emotions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• if the teacher does not have any coping strategies for her, then you may want to try a child therapist or psychologist. i can understand crying b/c you planned on doing a great job on your work, and you didn't finish in time. she needs help understanding that it is not the end of the world, and that she will have another opportunity to finish the work. maybe she is a perfectionist in the making, if that is the case help now could be very beneficial to her future! i am not really talking about help as in drug therapy, but real coping skills that a 7 yo can incorporate into her life. i wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do! it could be something that may take a while to work out too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2010