What's your recommendation for birth control once I have my baby?

I'm debating on what bc to get on once my son is born (Due early May) . He is my first baby and I do plan on breastfeeding, but understand you can be pretty fertile awhile after. Although I LOVE kids and we eventually want more. I'd want to wait at LEAST another 2-4 years so I can at least have my Masters degree under my belt. I can't do rings or anything up in there & I've heard the pill (which I was on before & worked fine for me) isn't that effective after pregnancy. I've heard shots can reduce your chances of getting pregnant (?) afterwards when you get off them and try..I don't know if thats true or not, but something I heard. I'm really nervous, but want to do whats healthiest and best for my body, but really don't want to have two babies in two years ...don't think I could do it all over again this soon! LOL :) Any replys would be appreciated ;) Thanks.

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 4:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Everybody is different, so you will want to discuss this with your doctor. I have heard many different versions of good and bad for each type of birth control. I highly recommend the pill though. I successfully prevented pregnancies for many years and then when I decided to become pregnant - I had only been off the pill for 4 or 5 weeks before becoming so! Then I went back on the pill - and a year later - became pregnant within 6 weeks after getting off the pill again! :) I am about to have child number 3. The pill is my friend! :)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I don't think you want to be on the pill while breast feeding. Condoms work just fine as long as hubby is willing to use them everytime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• im due may 2nd (this sunday) with my second child. i didnt breastfeed with my first child so i went on the pill at my 6wk checkup.... hated it!! with all the hormones in them it made me gain weight, made my face break out.. it just wasnt fun so i stopped taking them and immediately got prego again... this time around i want to breastfeed and i wanted a hormone FREE birth control so my doctor and i decided the best option for me was paragard. it's an IUD good for UP TO 10yrs but can be taken out at ANY time when you're ready to concieve it's hormone free so no weight gain, breakouts, and you can breastfeed. the best part... no daily pill to remember. look it up at www.paragard.com GL with dilivery and i hope this helps..
    katitim

Answer by katitim at 12:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010