Im having serious night waking problems with my 16 month old

My little boy just wont sleep through the night. He goes to bed awake at around seven and goes to sleep. Ive been trying the controlled crying for 2 weeks, it seemsed to work for the first few days but i think he is rebelling!!! he seems to wake around three ish and I try to leave him as long as possible. I go in give him his dummy then he goes back to sleep but then he wakes constantly for the rest of the night about every 15-20 minutes crying. I have been ignoring him and he does go back to sleep but then he wakes again. we have been getting up at 5.30am as i cant stand it anymore after that. please help.

monkeyboy2008

Asked by monkeyboy2008 at 5:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmm...have you tried warm milk?...i've heard it's supposed to help them sleep..and helped my dd for a little bit. is there something in his room that could be scary to him?..it could be that he's about to go through a growth spurt...they can be painful...the only thing i could guess is that it's a phase of some sort and will die down eventually..good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Has this always happened or is it new? My son started waking up in the middle of the night at the same age because he was getting his 2 year molars-took us a while to figure out, we thought h would be 2 when they came in. But he would be awake screaming from 2-4am every night for about 6 weeks, even tylenol didn't help. Those teeth were the worst, caused him so much pain. But once they were all in he went back to sleeping though the night again
    terribeari

Answer by terribeari at 12:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'm in the same boat as you. My 16 month old just started getting up around 1 every night and refusing to go back to sleep at all until around 4. This has been going on for 4 days now. I am so tired and don't know what to do. He already has his molars, so that's not it. I am at my wits end, so I will be keeping an eye on this question for some ideas. Good Luck.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 5:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• could his room be too hot too cold? I know a lot of people tend to over dress children at night and the room is too hot etc. Could be something as simple as that. My daughter is 18months old she did this for about a week then got over it. Can you push bedtime until 8? That could help too. Good luck!
    willywonka86

Answer by willywonka86 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your advise. He has always done it but most of the time he will go back to sleep usually with me a habit thank god ive got him out of now. This morning when I went into his room I could hear birds singing..... maybe that is the answer to this problem. Not much I can do about that though. Especially this time of year.

asmcbride. Thank you for your comments. My little boy was like this before xmas and it turned out to be teething. Has your child got all his/her teeth? Have you tried a teething necklace?
    monkeyboy2008

Answer by monkeyboy2008 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010