Muslims how do you handle hateful words from non-muslims?

What do you say? What do you do to protect your children from people like this? I am at my wits end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Muslim, but seeing as how you aren't getting any other answers I wanted to put in my 2 cents...

I'm Pagan. So I deal with much of the same hateful comments and ignorance that you do. My kids aren't being raised Pagan, but I wear my pentacle and than among other things tends to separate me from the group...

Generally I just have learned to ignore the comments and I've taught my kids to wave and smile when people point. People really hate that! Really the thing I have taught my kids and the thing I tend to believe myself is that you really can kill people with kindness. When you get hateful people, if they aren't getting physical, walk away... Make a point to mention them in prayer and ask that they open their eyes to peace... I have found that my impressing on my kids that THEY have the issue and not us, they understand a little better...

You can't control what others do, but you can control how you react...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can't protect your children from it. In my daughters 2 years, she has witnessed her father and I get attacked in our car that was parked, windows up in a parking space yelling and screaming at us the most disgusting things. And witnessed me being attacked, pushed to the ground when I was buying tomatoes from a farmer.
    You just have to focus on your kids, Raise strong, self assured kids!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well, I am Muslim and to be honest with you if you dont assimilate in some which way shape of form to American traditions, then you will be discriminated against. You are not in the Middle East, what is the purpose of wearing a hijab or burquah? You look crazy even to me. Im not saying walk around half naked or anything, but modesty is a very simple concept and I think that many Muslim women make it harder on themselves then it needs to be.You look suspicious even to me, and I practice the religion... I am raising my daughter as a Muslim, and I always tell her to always stand up for your beliefs and never be scared of people. As for myself, I always will try to educate the ignorant, but if they dont want to listen, I know God will take care of them.
    Anonymous

• Well, you anon are misguided!
    I suggest looking deeper into yourself and reading Quran and Hadith to see the importance of modesty in actions and dress and not to judge and speak harsh words about another Muslimah!
    Telling another sister who is practicing her religion properly she looks "crazy" and "suspicious" is uncalled for. Assimilating to American laws does not mean we lose our identity as Muslims.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2010