Eligibility to vote

I'm a permanent resident but not a citizen yet. I know I'm not eligible to vote in the presidential race but can I vote in state affairs (governor race, etc) ? I live in CA.

swan11

Asked by swan11 at 6:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• you should try googling that answer. i dont think so but i dont know. welcome to the country! i hope you like it here! thank you for doing it legally. what country are you from?
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 7:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• As far as I know, you have to be a citizen to vote in any election, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• "The US Constitution allows non-citizen voting, and the practice is enjoying a revival in the United States. Non-citizen voting initiatives have been gaining in popularity, particularly since the early 1990s, when divisive riots in Washington, DC, and elsewhere convinced many community members that a more concerted effort to incorporate immigrants into civic life was needed. Non-citizen voting thus has been seen as a way to make sure unmet needs do not explode into unmanageable social problems. All of the initiatives so far have been in municipal or school board elections; none contemplate voting rights in federal elections."

read the entire article here: http://www.migrationinformation.org/USfocus/display.cfm?ID=265

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Thanks for replying. In response to jamiethornton26, I came from Malaysia, and thanks for the welcome! I really like it here. Most people I meet are nice (well, most people I meet in Malaysia are nice too). I like the weather also.
    Thanks
    swan11

Answer by swan11 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i have always wanted to see malaysia i heard it was beautiful! what is the weather like there? is it much different then what you have in ca?
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It is quite beautiful. The weather is very much different from CA. It's tropical weather and humid throughout the year. Most of the time it's hot unless if it rains. If you have the chance, I think you'd enjoy visiting Malaysia.
    swan11

Answer by swan11 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2010