how many ounces does your baby eat

my baby is about 4 months old and is breast fed. i pump so that my husband can give baby breast milk via bottle on days i work (1-2 days per week). he ends up eating 8-10 oz. in his bottle without a problem. so he ends up eating 40 oz a day! does that seem like a lot? maybe time to try some cereal?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 9:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does seem like a lot but he's too young for cereal, especially being breastfed. The current AAP recommendation for breastfed babies is a minimum of 6 months before introducing any kind of solids. Your milk is plenty for him right now. Just let him eat as much as he wants. Cereal is useless, empty calories anyway.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 10:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• 40 Oz. is alot of formula you may want to contact your pedi and ask for there advice. My daughter wanted to drink alot and I was told to start cereals a little earlier than most kids.
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• it is actually 40 oz of breast milk not formula
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 11:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I think its sounds fine my dd was eating ceral at like 6 weeks old so she ate alot always
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son's doctor told me to star giving Noah cereals in his bottle when he was two mos old cuz he was eating like every hour and was gaining like a pound a week, so i started putting rice cereal in his bottle and it did make a difference.
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yes, that seems like alot! Definitely yes on the cereal. My baby is 10 months old and he only eats 28 ounces a day. Maybe even ready for 1st foods.
    Canson

Answer by Canson at 6:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I have a two month old already on rice, but you should ask your ped. mine advised me to use the rice if the baby isnt getting full. i use 1 tbls to four oz.
    schmidt4507

Answer by schmidt4507 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2008