Potty Training

I introduced my daughter to the potty friday night... I have been putting her on the potty when she wakes up, a couple times during the day, at bath time, and before bed.. Sunday morning she went pee pee on the potty for the first time, I made a big deal of it and cheering her on. But she wouldnt go again when she sits on it she kind of looks at me funny. I am not with her all the time cause of work so I brought the potty to her grandmoms with her.. Is there anything else I should do.. Any tips? She is 18 months old.

jnc10501

Asked by jnc10501 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't push her or it wont work. Let her decide when she is ready. My daughter went once at 19 months and not again till 22 months. Finally she decided to only wear underwear at 2 1/2 and has never touched a diaper since that day. It was easier since she decided and basically potty trained herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Sounds like a great start. Don't worry if she's not going potty every time she's on it. Making it a regular part of her day is a good idea... most likely if you're putting her there after meals, after sleep, before sleep, you'll start getting more "hits." Don't have her sit for long periods, because she may start resenting potty time, but instead have her sit, let her down when she wants down, but while she's there make it a pleasant time by giving her some extra attention, singing songs, reading books, whatever she likes. My daughter started just like yours only around 16.5 months and by 17.5 months we had her in underwear because she hadn't had a poopy diaper in weeks and was hardly even wetting. I would just say keep the potty trips consistent, but no pressure for her to go, and continue to cheer her on when she does go. She'll get comfortable. Again, sounds like a good start. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2010