best advice on being a great mom!

I am trying to be the best mom i can be for our two year old soon to be adopted son! I wanna give him the best of all worlds. So if you could help me out and give me any and all advice on how to raise a kid the best way i would appericate it! I want any ideas on fun stuff to do with any age kid and anything on disipline or anything! I wanna learn from all of your experiences too. Thanks ladies!

lei08

Asked by lei08 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Be kind but firm.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• consistency on dicipline....because kids thrive off of predictability.
    Be an example. Whatever you want to teach your kids, or however you want your kids to be, you need to be the prime example of that person. If you are loving and compassionate they will be the same. If you are honest and have integrity, then they will be honest and have integrity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• relax

remember that kids will react to you - if you're worried and anxious they pick up on it. they're little mimics.

kids aren't always predictable.

and just HAVE FUN and enjoy every minute.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Play, read, and snuggle :)
    Show lots of love, and lots of praise. Be fair, but firm. Learn to compromise.
    My mom says - Choose your battles
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 10:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Just remember to stick to your word. Children thrive on routine, and he will benefit from it. Quantity over Quality, what I mean by that is be there for him, bonding will take place as long as he can depend on you. You don't have to take him to every party, etc. Home time will help him feel secure. Make a space for him to feel comfortable. His own room with lots of books. A good habit to get into is reading every night at bedtime. Let him choose the book, and at that age you will be more likely looking at the pictures, but you can make it fun. If he wants the same book every night, go with it, that's how our boys were at that age... Lots of Love will be what he needs most, so relax, and you will do fine. There are lots of adoption groups on here, so take a look, there's lots of info..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Lots of love! I think you will be an amazing mom without even having to try. Just be there for him to love and teach him. You will know what to do. By the way, congradulations mommy <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Follow through on things you said you were going to do, have lots of family vacations (I wished I had more ) listen to your little ones, make them see that what they say has meaning. Quality time, let the house place second fiddle over your kid. Don't expect perfection, but demand the best. Inspire in them the ability to do whatever they want to do, if there is a will there is a way. Praise is a must, kids thrive on praise. Consistency is the key for anything to work. Learn to laugh with them not at them. Always make sure they know you will always be there for them, tell them the importance of family and blood relatives, and friends. Point out the simple things of life, nature and its beauty. Teach them about money but also tell them it can't buy hapiness or love.

Answer by older at 2:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Consistancy on discipline, a good bedtime routine, and lots of cuddles! :)
    Congrats on your new little one!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Go with the flow. Every kid is different and you can't predict how he's gonna react to different things. If he hates something don't push it, if he loves it, give it. (with certain common sense exceptions).

Kids aren't hard to raise. They just take time, love, attention and goldfish crackers.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2010