Got married last yr. How to change my License? (tx)

- Ive lost my Social Security Card
- I have my driver license & marriage license.

So what are the right steps to take to not waste tons of times? Should I visit Social Security first, or the license place first?

(Im from Texas if this matters)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Go to the DPS first! That's what I did and it was so much easier, I didn't get my SS til months after. But why have you waited so long to get it changed anyway, I got my license changed within the first week back from our honeymoon.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 10:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• go to the SS office first. have that changed, then go to the DMV and get that changed.
    it'll be a couple weeks for your SS card
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• why has it taken you so long to change your stuff?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'm trying to remember the order when I did it. I went to the SS office first which was a huge mistake. They were incredibly busy so I just did everything through the mail and on the phone with them. I think I did my license first and don't remember needing my SS card. I brought my current driver's license, marriage license and a current utility bill just in case. It went fine.
    Anonymous

• In NC, you have to go to the social security office first and get your name changed there. Then thy will give you a little piece of paper you take that back to the DMV and get it changed on your license.
    I cant remember if I had to show my social security card or not......I dont think I did.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can do either first.

You don't need the SS card to change your license. In Texas you will need your marriage license and old driver's license. Call the driver's license office to find out what type of copy of your marriage license they will accept, and then go there in person with the required documents (you can't do a name change online in Texas).

You also don't need your driver's license changed before you get your SS card updated. Call your local SS office and see what they need you to bring, or you can look up the information online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Call first and see what is required. They may even have it on their website. I know FL has all the rules. It's called Know Before You Go. Not sure what it is in TX

Answer by admckenzie at 11:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i took my marriage license to the dmv got my license changed within a week, then i went to ss and filed it there, either way you need your marriage license with you... admckenzie, im in florida too and it was super easy for me
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• FYI - You don't have to change your name ever. I decided to keep my own name. Men keep the name they were born with why shouldn't women?
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• *OP here
    Why wait?
    Just have not got around to it... I have a friend that has is coming up on her 3rd wedding ann. and still have not changed it.. having kids in a boring long lines are not something we look forward to. lol.
    Anonymous