How can I help my kindergardener pass to 1st grade?

I moved twice this year and in one of my moves because I was in the hospital and my mom to help me she couldn't stay in the United States I ended up with my child in PR. I tried to teach my daughter spanish so she could be bilingual like me but was not successful. When she was expected to be talking and she wasn't I asked the pediatrician and she told me to speak only one language and I did and 2 days later she started to talk. The problem is that since I had to go with my mom to PR and at the time I was not aware that they stopped bilingual programs in the island a couple of years ago, now in NY they are planning to retain my daughter in Kindergarden. I'm crushed & feel guilty. Help me please!

Millie1116

Asked by Millie1116 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not entirely sure what you are asking or saying?

You are thinking that they want to retain her in K because you tried to raise her bilingually?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• If she isn't ready for for 1st grade, then repeat it. I love it that you are trying to teach your child bilingual languages. Its better to repeat kindergarten and have them ready for 1st grade than to have them struggle and not do well in 1st grade. Don't feel guilty. You are doing the best that you can.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I think you probably need to talk to the school as to what exactly the expectations are, then get her some private tutoring. You will have to work with her on whatever the deficit is a little bit everyday as well. Communication with the school is huge though!! Good luck Mom, and don't beat yourself up about this!! You do the best you can, keep her safe and secure and that's what matters in the end!! If the worst thing that comes of it is she has to stay back in Kindergarten than Mom, you are not doing wrong by her, you are helping her!!! (((( hugs )))) ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Hi, I'm Millie. Thanks so much for the quick responses, I just joined and didn't have enough room to explain the situation clearly. I ended up in PR because I had no other place to go after being release from the hospital & by doing that my daughter got behind in school because of the language barrier. By missing on the 5 months of the teaching in this particular school district now my daughter most likely has to repeat Kindergarden. This is after meeting with the teacher and I just finding out that they tested her and the result were not the ones expected of her at this point. Although the teacher says we still have 10 weeks til school year ends she feels is better if she retains her. I just feel like I failed her in so many ways. I wish there was something more I can do besides what I'm already trying at home like ex. reading, practicing letters & numbers etc Thank you so much.

Millie1116

Answer by Millie1116 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• There is no "failure" in kindergarten. She needs to have the skills to be successful in first grade. Let her repeat Kindergarten and be happy with the idea. :) She can make new friends and be on the right track at the end of next school year. And in the meantime, speak both languages, explaining in English as you go and before you know it she will be bilingual too. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Loads of kids have to repeat kindergarten. My hubby had to repeat first grade due to a language barrier; he first went to school in Canada in a French immersion program and when he came to the US he just didn't have adequate first grade skills to continue in an English speaking classroom. My son starts kindergarten and I figure he may have to repeat because he's one of the youngest kids in the state; he only just makes our cut off here and we're one of only 9 towns in the state where he's old enough. It's pretty common for a few kids out of each class to repeat kindergarten, better to get them on track then than leave them struggling and possibly repeating a later grade.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• dont feel bad that happens to a lotta bilingual kids. at some point it just clicks for them and they have this amazing skill (they can translate - that is amazingly marketable now!) no one will ever know when she is 30 that she had another year in K -- but if she goes on without the skills -- they might be able to tell if you know what i mean! let her stay where she needs to be. in the end she will be better for it --- and dont have guilt you were in the hospital! you cannot help that! things happen for a reason.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I am a kindergarten teacher now and I have taught 1st grade for 3 yrs prior. Let me tell you that if she isnt ready or missed alot you will do more justice for her now by holding her back. First grade teaches alot of phonics and language skills and if she missed alot already than she may not have the prior knowledge thats needed to properly learn these skills and it will mess her up. In the state of Georgia kids in Kindergarten should be able to ready atleast 25 words per min at the end of kindergarten and 60 and the end of 1st grade. Test your own child. Can she identify all uppercase and lowercase letters? Can she say the sounds of the consonants and short sounds of the vowels? Can she identify rhyming words? Can she read 30/50 sight words? Does she identify 8 shapes: circle, oval, square, rectangle, triangle, diamond, heart, star. Does she identify 3-D shapes : cube, cone, sphere? Does she count to 30? (cont)
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Can she identify numbers atleast to 10? Does she understand the concept of more and fewer, taller and shorter? Can she identify coins and county pennies?

These are a few skills they learn in kindergarten but these are a must for 1st grade. If she cant accurately do these then she may not be ready for 1st grade and sending her to 1st grade is going to create more problems for her later on down the road. Its nothing to be ashamed about but its better to be kept back in kindergarten and get a chance to catch up then being in 2nd grade reading at a kindergarten level because no one ever kept you back.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Some websites that might help her:

Reading:
    http://www.starfall.com/ -- this is free.
    http://www.sightwordswithsamson.com/sw/sight_words.asp -- this is free

Math:
    http://www.ixl.com/ -- $9.95/month but soooo worth it

Read a lot with her. Take her to the library. Become pen pals with each other. You can make little mailboxes to deliver the letters into for each of you.

The Bob books (http://www.bobbooks.com/) are great for beginning readers and can be found at most bookstores or online at Amazon. Be sure you start with set one if she's just beginning to sound words out. They will build her confidence a lot because she will soon be able to read the entire book by herself. Very much worth the money. http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-Beginning-Readers/dp/0439845009 Here they are only $11.55.

http://www.iknowthat.com/com/L2?GradeLevel=0:0&Subject=All This is a good site for many subjects.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010