Have you had the pedophile/sexual abuse talk with your children?

What did you say? how did they take it? do you think they understand?

Sorry i was up late watching law and order svu, and well, that show always makes my mind wander.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 10yr old &14mth old. When my 10yr old began to understand and talking (around the age of 3) I started talking to him about "private areas". I told him that noone should touch or look at that area except for mommy and daddy and that is only to help him go to the potty, to help him take a bath and if he gets a boo-boo down there and needs to show mommy.I also told him that its okay if the doctor has to look down there but only if mommy is with him.I also explained that noone should ever have him look at or touch thier private parts either and if someone ever does these things, he should tell me about it right away. I also explained that he would not get in trouble for telling me and that it was very important to tell mommy about it. AS he got older, the converstations got more in depth. My son does know there are sick people out there and he can always tell me anything, I am here to protect him.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Please be careful and do this in an appropriate manner for their age. It is much more understandable for them to talk about stranger danger and good touch/bad touch. Talk about their bodies are theirs. That you are always safe to talk to and you will always do your best to protect them.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• teaching them about good/bad touch, not talking to strangers, staying with an adult etc.. once they get 11 you can go into a little more detail
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• We had a pedophile that moved in next to us when I was around 7 or 8. My parents told me that I was not to talk to him, that he hurt children, if I saw him run home. Scared the crap out of me but it was better for me to be scared of him than to trust him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2010