Emergency housing?

We are being kicked out from where we live now (me and 5yo). Ive got $120 to my name and no where to go. The closest shelter isnt even in this county. I dont know what to do....any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would immediately go to the Division of Family and Children (whatever its called there) & let them know your situation. I would ask for whatever assistance they can give you. Also, here there is a program called ICAP. They help with section 8 housing, daycare costs, energy assistance, etc. I would go to them as well.

Also, here you can apply for assistance through your township trustees office. my MIL just applied for assistance with a light bill...they werent able to help with that (long story), but they were able to help with rent. i don't know how long term the assistance is that you get from the trustree, but it would be worth looking into.

I dont know when your 5 yos. b-day is but i think that you might still be able to apply for WIC. I know it goes to or through age 5...but not sure. It would be worth looking into. Also, check and see if there are any food pantries in your area

good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Contact your county ASAP. Sorry, but this couldn't be a surprise to you. You have a responsibility to your child. Take care of them and keep them safe. It disturbs me that parents like you aren't taking your responsibility as a parent seriously. Time to tap into some family until you get your life together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I'd go to the local Homeless Shelter (or call) and get registered. Then I would go to Section 8 and tell them you are homeless. Homeless go to the top of the list in our county. That's how I got my apt and it's very nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Go to your welfare department and tell them what is going on...they will help you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2010