How often are we "obligated" to give pictures of our children to our families? How often do you do this?

We're hearing grumbling from DH's family that we haven't given them pictures of our children in too long. We hit a run of financial bad luck late last year, I'm in school and looking for part time work but so far nothing is available here. We had wanted to do Christmas pictures but had no money for it. I only have internet because my classes are online. My parents paid for some pictures, we didn't ask, and so we have like three pictures in the living room of them and now DH's family is all upset about it. I wasn't going to ask my parents to buy them pictures too. My parents are only in a marginally better spot than we are. I found out we can make copies of some we took on my camera at WalMart but honestly, I'm not very happy with all the attitude. We do the best we can and try to get them pictures but we are broke. They take pictures of our kids when they see us, so why can't they print some for their house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We are obligated to the schedule of NEVER.
    However, I send email pictures after each photo event. I love email. I send school pictures in the fall when we get them. We don't do yearly family pictures. I never understood the allure of them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I give my parents pictures whenever we get them done, but generally that's just the kids' school pics and a group shot that we take every Christmas. I hate giving my ILs pictures just because they never display them anywhere. They have millions of pics of my BIL and SIL's wedding all over their house, but we gave them really expensive montages of all three of our kids and I have never seen them again. I don't mind giving them pictures if they would put them somewhere, but I am tired of spending money for them to just shove them in a drawer somewhere and never let them see the light of day!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• At walmart there is a picture studio, called Picture Me.
    They have an advertised offer right now, If you go Mon- Thurs you get 1 pose (the 1st one so make sure its good) for 5 bucks.
    1 8x10
    2 5x7s
    4 3 1/2 x 5s and 16 wallets.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 11:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You're never obligated! Tell them if they want pictures, pay for them. Or tell them to spend time with your family and take some snapshots.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I gave pictures several times the first year, and then I tried to do it at least once a year after that. I have sometimes gone with digital prints from Wal-Mart instead of professional pictures due to time or money constraints. I try to be equitable in how many pictures I give to IL's as opposed to how many I give to my folks, but I know I give more to my mom. For extended relatives I rarely give professional pictures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• let them know that your parents paid for those pictures, and if they want any, feel free to pay for some.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can go to the Kodak Picture Maker that's in a lot of stores and copy any photo for dirt cheap. You're not supposed to if they're copyrighted but I've done it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2010