C-section over Vag birth

Ok I know that this sounds crazy, but I was just wanting to know what the heck my husband and best friend were talking about......OK she came over sat. night for a bbq and asked me if I'm gong to have a c-section? I said no not unless something goes wrong? I said this with the most confused look on my face, which she noticed and said to me that it a trend now for women to choose them over Vaginal.
I said what the heck are you talking about and than my husband joins in saying that he has heard of this and that yes it now a common thing for woman to do because they dont want to stretch the Vagina.

we are going vaginal but I was just wanting to know how many of you have heard of this crazy new trend, am I just not believing that woman would choose that kind of down time.....I dont know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first was a regular delivery. My second was breech, so she was a c-section. I liked the c-section much better. The recovery time was about the same and I didn't have to worry about delivery and when it would happen which is huge when you have little ones at home. My third I chose to have a c-section. It worked out well for us.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• it's silly to have an unmedically nescicary csection...both of mine were vaginal and they were both over 8lbs, yeah you stretch but you go back to normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It's not so much a trend of women choosing them, as much as it is women being misinformed and thinking that they need one when they really don't, and being coerced into getting one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard! More than likely c-sections have become so "popular" b/c OBs have pushed for more c-sections to avoid medical malpractice suits "just in case". I had a c-section & hated it. Having a c-section wouldn't have been my choice at all if I could have avoided one (baby was 5 weeks early, breech & being strangled by the umbilical cord - baby survived, but w/complications). Because of the surgery, I was in a ton of pain. Because of the surgery, my baby had to be exposed to some very strong medications in utero. Because of the surgery, I had an extended recovery period. Because of the surgery, I couldn't pick up my baby for 2 weeks. Because of the surgery, I have a huge, ugly scar on my abdomen and the tissue all around it is numb.

I am grateful the procedure exists b/c it saved my & my baby's life, but I certainly wouldn't choose to do it over a vaginal birth.
    Anonymous

• i don't think it's a very big trend. for one thing, a decent doctor would not allow it because there are a lot of risks associated w/ c-section, and vaginal is safest in the great majority of births. a great book i'd recommend for any woman to read is PUSHED by jennifer block. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i dont know about that, but im kinda happy i had a csection, the scar definatly sucks but i think its better then a loose vagina.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes, I have heard of this new trend. My doc was explaining to me that some women choose c-sec now because there are studies that prove that women who have multiple vaginal deliveries have an increased occurence of urinary and bowel incontinence. Also, occurence of the uterus muscles weakening and collapsing. However if women choose c-sec its not recommended to have more than 3. Thats what my doc explained.

I had a c-sec because it was medically necessary. My baby's heart rate dropped while I was pushing. The c-sec recovery was easy. I was walking around about 14 hours after. It was uncomfortable, but not horrible. I have a tiny scar you can barely see it, plus its below the bikini line, so its not a huge deal. I would never choose a c-sec over a vaginal birth because with a c-sec you dont have the opportunity to bond immediately with the baby. My next baby I will try my hardest for a VBAC.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 11:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can tell your husband that MY husband said it was TIGHTER after DS!!!

Of course I had the episiotomy, and a 4º tear, but after it was said and done, the stitches and Kegels really fixed THAT problem! Also, after vaginal delivery, I can better control the muscles down there during intercourse...

Plus, when that baby's head comes out, you will realize just how much pressure has built up in there! And when the rest of baby comes out, you're going to literally deflate, and be more relaxed than you ever thought possible! Plus, you don't have 6wks of surgery care following...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• agreed with matobe, you dont have a "loose" vagina after a vaginal birth..lol
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 12:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had 3 vaginal deliveries and then a csection with my 4th. I am planning on having a repeat csection - it was much better/easier for me than my vaginals! And I barely have a scar at all - it's only been 17 months and it's already faded to where when my SIL wanted to see it, I actually had to point it out to her. My leftover scar and scar tissue buildup from my episiotomy/tears are MUCH worse!

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2010