God, my 2 year old is a freaking brat!

He just turned 2 years old, and he is HORRIBLE. I mean, he is very smart, he can answer yes or no questions really easily, he can use a bunch of sentences now, but he will NOT listen to ANYONE. He bites his older brother, he gets mad and tries to break things (for instance, he just couldn't leave with grandma so he tried to throw our brand new DVD player on the floor). He'll get mad and throw everything off the tables, he'll dump his drinks on the floor, he will stand there and screech if you tell him no, or look right at you while he's doing it. He will not let me put him down, as in I can't even pee without him being on my lap. It's driving me crazy. He gets put in time out every time. He's even been swatted for the biting. But nothing seems to be working. Ugh!! Any ideas on what to do with this child/ He's driving me nuts!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kid wanted to throw his drinks and stuff around I took them from him. I gave him paper towls and told him to clean it himself. It took FOUR hours of me not letting him play with anythingg, not holding, not giving him anything to eat or drink (its not like I was starving him) and finally he cleaned up the mess. That was the first and last time he decided to make the mess. If he wants to throw your stuff around then start throwing his stuff away. In a big black trash bag, once he sees whats going on then maybe he will stop. As for the on your lap all the time , I know what you mean its a phase.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Welcome to the TERRIBLE TWOS!
    My only advice to give it...learn to take deep breaths and count to a hundred if you need to.
    Consistancy and time.
    Good Luck and Hang in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well hitting him for biting isn't going to help. One violent act for another isn't appropriate. Children will model behavior they see. Also, he is at the age where biting is a very common behavior. They can't talk as quick as their little minds can think and they frustrate easily. When they act out like that, its usually because that is what they know to do to get their needs met. Help him understand what is appropriate, show him you love him and tell him what you want him to do instead. You need to calm down too and be patient.

Also, he sounds bored. Get him busy, play with him. Are your other children instigating his acting out? Teasing behind your back? He needs positive attention. Tell him when he is doing something right. This too will pass. You need to be the adult and monitor him. Catch him being good and give him tons and tons of praise. It will turn around.

Parenting classes could be helpful too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Give him NO attention when he does these things. When you see him drag everything off the table & onto the floor, pick him up, put him in his room & close the door. Do not even look at him, do not yell at him or say anything...just do it.

Some kids will do anything for ANY kind of reaction. When you get upset, he learns that he is getting a reaction out of you. That is where he manipulates you. For some kids, any kind of attention is better than no attention. Don't feed into his behavior by getting mad or angry. Just put him in his room & when he is calm, open the door. Dont force him to come out, just open the door.

Try this ignoring way of disciplining him when he does something wrong.

BUT, when he does something RIGHT, make a HUGE deal out of it. Clap your hands, give him a lil treats & kisses & show him with your expression & love that what he did deserves attention. This over time works magic.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well, that's how my niece is, but she is clearly not disciplined consistantly and when they do try to discipline her, she gets off easily or let out of time out for her tantrums just because its easier to not deal with it.. I am not sure if this is the case. My son is 2-1/2 and going through and aggressive phase which we are not happy about but we have always been on top of him about being nice, no hitting throwing toys, putting away his own things etc. He's a clinger too and needs to be carried often for whatever reason and he's a bit whinier than most kids too for this reason I am sure.. plus he's an only child which helps..lol!! but I would say to never let him get away with things because its not worth the fight or giving in is eaiser.. he's probably strong willed like my son and takes EXTRA effort as he will test ALL Things along the way.. ! good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Some of what I am about to say you will not like. Some of his behavior is a normal 2 year old, not listening, biting and not leaving you alone . But the throwing things. He is testing you. To see if you will do something about what he did.
    What I would do is not give him anything to drink but in the kitchen. The throwing things I think is like a tatrum to him. Put everything up that you do not want him to break.

Answer by louise2 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• mine started that business about 18 months lasting about a year. remember it is a phase. be an oppressive dictator if you must but keep the upper hand. if you have told him to do something - you make sure he listens - like i used to have to actually move ds' hands/arms to make him pick up the toys when he was asked to clean up the toys. you just cant let him give you no for an answer ever. remember time outs are age appropriate if the time = years in minutes but every time they yell or get up or whatever time starts over until they cave in. i found that with my son when he had a fit (yelling as you described) it was best to put him in his room so that he coudlnt try to punish us with his noise. sometimes he was really upset, other times he was just trying to get his way with it. since you have older kids reward them for modeling good behavior to him in front of him --- he will have to follow suit or get no rewards
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2010