Gestational Diabetes

Did any of you have Gestational Diabetes? Were you able to control it with diet and exercise or did you have to use Insulin? How did that work for you? What was it like? I got the call that I have it and I meet with the dietician tomorrow but I'm still kinda nervous about it all....because morning sickness (well all day sickness) and the pain in my abdomen (which the dr cleared as growing pains) hasn't been thrilling enough. However, I am glad they tested me early and found it now rather than later!

CrazyKiss

Asked by CrazyKiss at 11:20 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had gestational diabetes with all three of my pregnancies. I was able to control it with my diet all three times and never had to go on insulin. None of the kids were harmed by the diabetes and are happy and healty today. If you would like, you could pm me and ask anything you want. I would be happy to help.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• yes, with only one of my pregnancies.

It was controlled with the diet, and it was not bad. I ate good and felt so much better. After I had the baby I was fine.

You will be fine and so will your little one.

Good luck.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I have GD with my current (5th) pregnancy and have had it with 3 out of the previous 4 as well. With the first 2, I was able to control it with diet. The 4th and currently I am using the diet and an oral medication called glyburide (1/2 pill/day) to help control my sugars. I'm not doing anything different with the diet, it's just a matter of how my body is processing the carbs I'm taking in. Either way, it's not a huge deal - it's only for a few months and the diet definitely helped keep my weight in check, so I had less to lose after baby(ies) were born!

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010