Help! My 3 year old is scared of EVERYTHING!

She's TERRIFIED of everything loud. The vacuum, blender, mixer, the haircut machine, my blow dryer, lawn mowers, weed wackers, and loud cars. Please help me. We use these items on a regular basis so there is no reason she is scared cuz she has been exposed to them regulary. How do I get her to stop screaming everytime I use them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont have any advice because my 3 year old son is afraid of everything too. Hes afraid of most of the things you mentioned but also ants, flys, ladybugs, stuffed animals, and his newest one is dandelions. It is so bad he will not go outside unless I carry him. I have no idea what to do either because like your child mine has always been exposed to those noises/things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can get her ear muffs or ear plugs to muffle the sound. Always warn her when you're going to use it, explain what it is, what it does, and remind her that it's going to make a loud noise. You can even ask her to make the sound herself before you turn it on. That always worked with my older one... we sat together and made our fiercest growling sound at the blender before we used it to blend a delicious smoothie. The best thing is to make sure it's not a surprise, to give fair warning, the chance to muffle the sound, and to help her to understand that loud noises don't have to be scary because we can make them ourselves!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son is afraid and now my daughter has picked up on my sons fears. They both plug their ears when I have to use those items.
    MidnightKarma

Answer by MidnightKarma at 9:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• First have you had her hearing checked? She may have an inner ear problem and its not that she is scared its that these things are physically HURTING her. I know someone's who's daughter has fluid around her drums so anything loud echo's at a higher volume in her ears and causes physical pain. If thats not the problem and she is actually afraid maybe have her use the Vacuum or something else safe for her to use so she knows there is really nothing to be scared of.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 11:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2010