8.5 month old getting diaper change

Ok when i'm changing my lo he's always trying to crawl and run away and moving all around. He only does it with me though he doesn't do it with daddy. I want to teach him that he can't be moving all around while he's getting his diaper change. What do you ladies do tap them, tell them no sternly ( tried this but he disregards it). What should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD is the same age and does the same thing.
    Whenever she starts to squirm or try to roll over while I'm changing her, I start singing to her and she usually stops.
    I also always have a small toy or something for her to hold and play with to try and distract her.

I've also become very fast at changing her bum Lol!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• What if your DH stood over your shoulder a few times and lent his support? I wonder if your son would be more still then.... men have this authority thing going on.... Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• This is very typical of this age! I do not suggest "tapping" baby or even telling them no sternly. I think a much better idea is a toy to distract them. That, and learn to be quick and get a diaper on a moving baby!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You just have to learn to do it fast. That's what all kids do at that age. My mother in law once told me that changing my son was like wrestling an alligator. She was right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• my baby is the same age and he does that with me too but i think it's funny so i turn him over really fast and put his diaper on as fast as i can before he turns over again
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I give my daughter something to play with that she doesn't normally get. I usually grab something that is safe for a minute or two of supervised play that is in the basket of random baby stuff on the changing table. If it's just a pee diaper, sometimes a normal toy will work, but for a poopy diaper I always use something that she won't get bored with quickly. Mostly because she has started putting her hand down there when I'm changing her and the last thing I want is for her to put her hand in poop.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2010