Did you have to take care of other children besides your newborn after a cesarean?

I'm pregnant with my second, my DR is recommending a cesarean, and my first is only 15 months.

I'm just wondering how hard it will be trying to recover from a c- section while caring for my first child.

I'm no where near family so I'll be doing this with just my husbands help (he really is a big help, but his business will fail without him, however he is aware he will be working significantly less.) I also care for my 3 yr old cousin who is more help than burden, the only thing he needs is someone to wipe his butt, and heat his food.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD was 20 months old when I had m y2nd c-section. My DD was a little over 3 yrs and my DS was 20 months old when I had the third c-section. Both times my husband had the first 2 weeks PP off work and home with me. Then my MIL stayed with me an additional 3 weeks. I did all that I could, but wasn't able to lift my toddlers to put them in and out of their cribs for naps or in and out of the tub for baths.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son was 2 when I had DD by c-section. It was a bit challenging but I managed.

Having the 3yo there as well will be a good thing because they(15mo and 3yo) can entertain each other.

I had my mom there for a few days after DD was born but then I was on my own after that. My husband at the time worked from 8am-6:30pm so I was alone all day every day by myself with the kids.

You can do it :)
    Just try and take it a bit easy and leave the housework and laundry for your husband.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yes, I did. My after my 3rd C-Section, I had a 6 year old and a special needs/medically fragile 2 year old to take care of. My DH at the time was a bad alcoholic and while I was at the hospital having #3 he went out with his buddy and got blitzed on meth. When I got home, he went ballistic and beat the snot out of me. (DS was 4 days old). I sent him packing....

After that, I was on my own! My recovery was much harder than it was with my first two since I had no help and I had no choice but to carry both my 2 year old and my newborn. Plus I had to do all the regular work around the house on top of the child care. Of course with #1 and #2 I didn’t get to lay around and be waited on to say the least, but at least I wasn’t completely alone!

Now I am a far stronger woman and I am capable of doing just about anything on my own!
    Anonymous

• The first thing that I would do is to get a 2nd opinion and see if the c-sect was really needed. With my 2nd child the first Dr. wanted to do a planned c-sect. because my first was born by c-sect. I went to a different Dr. and hospital and ended up with a very easy 100% natural delivery. I'm so glad I did not have to recover form surgery with number 2! If you really need one, then absolutely, but if there is another option that would be my first choice!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I am a single mother and had to do it all---it will all work out because it has to---but I would clean absolutly everything before the baby comes and play on eating delivery food off paper plates for the first week or two---or cook and freeze meals before the birth and eat off paper plates.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had a 7, 9, and 11 year olds when I had my csection - because they were older they were more help than anything! But my little on will be 20 months when my next baby is born in July. I have been buying him little toys from Dollar Store/used toys in good condition off craigslist to entertain him when the baby is born. Hopefully I'll be able to pull out one every few days to give him something new to keep his attention when his new sister needs something. The only thing I am worried about is getting him upstairs to his room for nap - but my husband is taking a week off, and then my mom and MIL both live in town. I'm fortunate. I wish you lots of luck. If you come up with any tips, I'd love to know!

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You just kind of figure it out as you go. My oldest was 15 months when my 2nd was born and then they were 13 months and 28 months when my 3rd was born. All 3 were c-sections and my husband went back to work a week after I got out of the hospital with the 2nd two. I was on my own with a newborn and 2 toddlers who needed me to lift them and carry them and get things for them. I just kind of muddled through. The only help I got was from my husband (who worked all day). It was chaotic but we survived. I even cooked Thanksgiving dinner about 2 1/2 weeks after the 3rd one was born while my husband was at work and it was just me and the kids at home. I didn't have a choice...life goes on even after a c-section.
    Now I'm due with #5 in July. My kids will be 4, 7, 8 and 10 when the baby is born and I'm completely on my own. My husband lives in another state for now (we will join him after the baby is born).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Yep, my son was only 13 months when my youngest was born. It was rough for awhile as they were both very fussy kids...but you work it out and you get through.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2010