How can I help my kindergardener pass to 1st grade? Cont.

Hi, I'm Millie. Thanks so much for the quick responses, I just joined and didn't have enough room to explain the situation clearly. I ended up in PR because I had no other place to go after being release from the hospital & by doing that my daughter got behind in school because of the language barrier. By missing on the 5 months of the teaching in this particular school district now my daughter most likely has to repeat Kindergarden. This is after meeting with the teacher and I just finding out that they tested her and the result were not the ones expected of her at this point. Although the teacher says we still have 10 weeks till school year ends she feels is better if she retains her. I just feel like I failed her in so many ways. I wish there was something more I can do besides what I'm already trying at home like ex. reading, practicing letters & numbers etc Thank you so much for your support and advices.

Millie1116

Asked by Millie1116 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Repeating Kindergarten isn't a bad thing. If the teacher feels it would benefit her then it's probably a good idea to go with her recommendation. If you push her into the 1st grade and she's not ready it's just going to make the rest of her yrs in school that much harder. Let the 10 weeks go by, then take a look at her progress, and then decide what would be best for her. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Your goal should be that your daughter develops into a solid learner and masters all of her Kindergarten skills. Repeating Kindergarten is likely the best way for her to do this. Work conscientiously for the 10 weeks and see what the school recommends. If her results are not absolutely solid, I suggest that you embrace the additional year in K. And I urge you to set up a tutor or other academic enrichment to keep her moving forward proactively.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 12:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• If she is not ready, i would keep her back for her sake.

If you feel she is then they should be able to test her, people make the mistake of letting there kids pass only to have them fail the next grade.

Be sure your little girls ready, because once she goes in first they learn to read, write, and addition, subtraction. It is not like it use to be. My son is in kindergarten and he is reading, my daughter is in first and she is a reader. So becareful.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010