How do you get your teen daughter to enjoy being home again?

She has been depressed lately, and we go to therapy. How do I get her to laugh like she use too, to be fun again.

Any suggestions on things your daughter and you enjoy doing together at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• So many people don't understand depression. It isn't always about being happy or sad. There are 2 kind of depression, circumstantial and physiological. Circumstantial can be happy/sad over something but the other is about the brain not working right and meds may be needed. Getting her to laugh and have fun isn't going to make the depression go away necessarily. Keeping her busy and active can help fight off depression. Eating properly can help. I'm as happy as a lark but I suffer from clinical depression. I have nothing bad going on in my life, it's just that things aren't firing in the brain like they should...and I hate taking meds. I keep trying natural ways to deal with it. Make sure her's isn't circumstantial though. That one can be fixed easier.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• take a weekend vacatio the two of you?
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My sister went through that as well. My mother just did little things to help. What type of things did she enjoy doing before? Maybe try a few of those. I think the vacation idea is great too! I hope everything gets better <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I went through this after my grandmother died. My mother kept my favorite chocolate in a drawer that I'd "sneak". She me books by my favorite authors. She got videos with my favorite actors. She didn't encroach too fast. She let me set the pace and come to her when I was ready.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My daughter saw a truck with those monster wheels run over a very small car and decapitate the woman driving the car.This was one month after she started driving and was in her car at the light.The police called us to come because she was a basket case of course.She also wound up in therapy once a week. We had mani-pedis ,saw light movies , girl lunches,girl videos with her fave home cooked foods.She became a pretty with drawn even from friends so I would get her to pick a friend to go with us about half the time.Her dad and brothers just loved on her a lot and a couple of dad dinners Slowly she moved forward and completely recovered.She is a happy fresh in college away from home.It is so hard when our children become depressed.Good luck and take care of you too.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2010