EBF baby...when to start solids and what?

I want to see some BFing mommies advice here. I've had 3 babies in less than 3.5 years and they were all BF, but the advice to this question keeps changing. When I had my first, the pediatrician told me to start rice cereal at 4 months. When I had my second he said new research says to start rice cereal at 5.5 months. Now with this 3rd he threw his hands in the air and said I know about feeding babies than he does.

What's your advice on when to start solids? I know some of you don't like rice cereal at all.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When? anytime between 4 and 6 months. What? rice baby cereal mixed with breastmilk.

I started trying the rice cereal with mine around 4.5 to 5 months, but it was around 6 months before he would really eat any.
    Anonymous

• My baby is 4.5 months now, but is very satisfied with BM right now and nurses about every 3 hours and only once at night. So, I was thinking about not starting solids for another month. I started my other 2 on the rice cereal that's made from whole grain organic brown rice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I started my DD when she showed she was ready. She showed signs at 3.5-4 months and her doctor said to start her but I waited until 5 months and KNEW she was ready and showing all the signs.
    For any future children, I will always start when they are ready and not when someone tells me too unless it is medically necessary.
    I skipped cereal (she didn't like it) and gave her oatmeal.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Y daughter was EBF until 7 months- no cereal- nothing just Breast milk. She then started with rice cereal just like any other baby... The ped said I could start at 4 months but I waited by choice. It not necessary to start at any particular age it's all just practice until they are closer to 12 months. SO it's up to you! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i have changed over the years too. for my first i started with plain yogurt, bread and water at 6 months. then veggies and fruit. my second child was veggies and fruit...maybe around 8 months.
    #'s 3 &4 was veggies after 8 months...i waited for teeth, and i waited for them to show they were interested in the grown up foods. for the whole first year, i think food is more about practice and experimenting...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• EBF? I'd wait until at least 6 mos, and then, just start with a fruit or veggie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I thought that it was 3 months that you can start feeding solids it even saids that on the label of foods. But, now that I am a new mom again for the second time the doctor is recommended 4 months now. What has changed? I think that if you think that your child is ready for solids then go ahead. I started giving my first child table food at six months because the doctor said it was okay to do so. It all depends on if your child is ready for solid foods yet. For my first son, I bought nursey water because I thought that I had to. Now they are saying that City/tap water is okay to give the baby and you dont have to boil it. Idk, They are always changing things. I think you should just use your own instincts. You know your child better than the doctors.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 2:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Our pediatrician said we could start rice cereal at 4 months and I told him I would rather not and just wait until 6 months to start solids. He was totally fine with that. I ended up starting solids at 7 months. I only really use jar baby food when we go out to eat and we're going to be away from the house for awhile. Otherwise she gets fruits and veggies either mashed with a fork or put through the magic bullet. I'll cook up a veggie or fruit and then put it through the bullet with a little water and then put it into a mini muffin pan. Then I freeze it and once it's frozen transfer the little servings to a freezer bag. Prior to starting solids she was EBF. She really doesn't eat a huge amount of solids now. She gets one of the mini muffin veggies/fruit at breakfast and one for dinner. Or a little of something that isn't frozen and then nurses the rest of the day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• The advice for starting solids hasn't changed in 30 years! LLL has always recommended starting around 6 months with banana or sweet potato and that babies never need baby cereal or jar food. Doctors have no training in nutrition or breastfeeding and aren't the people to ask.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website that has info on starting solids.

The thing that has changed is that you don't have to wait a week between foods and after 6 months if there isn't allergies in your family you can feed the baby almost all food except milk (cow, goat, or any mammal).

The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years after having a baby before ttc.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2010