In school were you taught....

proper finger placement while typing?

Did you take a typing class? If so, what kind of typerwrtter? And was it a required class or an elective?

Or are you young enough that it was a keyboarding class? Again, required class or elective... what grade?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Required and it was keyboard. 7th grade.
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I was horrible at typing. I had it just when we were changing over, so one year I learned on a typewriter, the next a keyboard. Yes we had to have proper finger placement and never look at the keyboard or screen. I remember when we first learned computer programming too. We would spend all hour typing commands into the computer and if you did it right a smiley face would flash on the screen. Back then that was some awesome technology.... now it's a joke!

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I took an elective "computer class" in 7th grade (in 1999) that taught all kinds of basic stuff that means nothing today. Then in 11th grade (2004) I took a reguired keyboarding class that did teach proper finger placement. Do I use to today? Not really. I type the way I am comfortable typing and am still pretty quick!
    Anonymous

• they started it the year after i graduated but i did have to take a keyboarding class in college i never learned the proper finger placement i can type better doing it "my way" b/c of the arthritis in my hands
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I had keyboarding and it was a required class that I took in 7th grade and freshmen.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• OBTW! We had typing in grade school as well!
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 1:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I am dating myself here, but I took an actual TYPING class when I was in 9th grade, on an actual typewriter, not a computer. It was an elective and I'm glad I did it. When I was a senior, I took an intro to computers class, and gosh, those computers were so old and slow!! We could barely do anything on there, and there was no such thing as internet.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I took a required class, on keyboard, had to use proper finger placement... Also had an orange rubber thing that covered the keys, so you couldn't look at the keyboard. I believe my class was also 7th grade, but it may have been a year earlier... Not totally sure
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I was taught to type on a typewriter! I learned proper finger placement, and how to set the tabs for letter writing both personal and business. My kids call my typewriter "Mom's Dinosaur". That's okay, I still love it! :0)
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 1:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I took business electives in HS and typing was one. I'm very fast on the keys and we were taught proper finger placement. My mom's faster than me...super long nails and all, she does 90 wpm!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2010