Help. How do I handle my 2 year old's hitting stage

He is hitting Mommy and Daddy and laughing/smiling. We do timeouts and they don't seem to be working. He even pushes and wrestles kids down to the ground at school. He just started doing this recently. He tell him "not nice" (firmly of course) have firm chats with him, timeouts, redirection, I even tapped his arm once after timeouts were not working and I got hit several times in a row. I am pregnant with second child and get hit in the stomach and get toys thrown at me in my face. I am at my wits end with this and not sure if I am handling it the correct way. Both my husband and I are very consistant and so is the daycare. Any advice? No bashing please. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well honestly i have never had this problem, i have 2 kids, one 6 and the other is 2 and they have never tried to hit or throw anything at me, but we are pro-spanking in my house so i dont have very many attitude problems out of mine. they know that when they do something that is worthy of a spanking thats what they will get. i have a small switch that i switch their hands with and that does the trick. my 6 yr old will on occasion get a full spanking on the bottom, but she rarely does anything to call for that. i do believe that my 2 yr old tried to hit me once, and i swatted his bottom very hard and he never tried it again. i do not hurt or abuse my kids, and that is not the only form i use, they get time outs for little stuff, but if it is something i have repeatedly warned against, they are getting the switch! im not saying its for you, but it works in my house and my kids are well behaved and love and respect me!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I worked a daycare and there was a kid with a pregnant mom who did this as well. He would hit kids for no reason.. and it drove me nuts cuz as an employee all I could do was redirect and ask him to check on them and see if they were okay.

The reason it drove me nuts was that he deserved to be spanked. Any kid that knows he's hurting people and continuing to do it.. if time outs aren't working... redirection isn't working.. and so on.. Spank the kids butt! Omg.. Not hard, and not emotional spanking.. but just to show him that it hurts when people hit, and maybe sit down and explain that to him afterwards.

Good luck... hopefully it's just a stage and he'll grow out of it.
    Anonymous

• My son is getting hit and bit at school and it happened e nough where now he's turning that aggression towards us at home.. so its the opposite. he won't stand up for himself at daycare but is now starting to hit at home.. it breaks my heart and this is just as recent as last week so we are working with this too . time out's arent' working, I keep being told its a phase, we redirect and do what we can to talk to him to let him know this is wrong but I can't spank either.. I just can't.. I hear ya mommy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010