Allergy help

My 3 year old daughter is having the worse time with her allergies. They were not as bad until we took her to the park this past Saturday and by that night she is so congested and keeps coughing. The doctor has her on Zyrtec which is an every 24 hour pill for her allergies but it is not working at all. I can't get her into the doctor until tomorrow morning because that is the earliest appointment they have and it's not that serious to subject her to an emergency room. I was just wondering if anyone know what I could maybe do until then to help her be more comfortable.

Oh and she will not take liquid meds, it has to be chewables. She is a very picky kid

hosein

Asked by hosein at 1:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 3yr old has the same problem. They told me to also use a cool air humidifier in her room, put some neasporin on a qtip and put some in her nose if the allergys give her nose bleeds and to help lubricate her nostrills. the coughing, i have not figured out how to solve that
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Well her nose isn't dry , it keeps running alot. Not sure if that is good or not since she just started having allergies about 2 months ago. Anyone know if the doctor will do testing to see what she is allergic to so maybe she can get something that helps better?
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 1:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I would get one of those saline nasal spray misters. I have the simply saline brand. I like that it is ONLY saline. I try to use that to help my kiddos with allergies. I strongly believe in the neti pot (DH uses one) but my 3 & 5 year old are too young to use it. So I use the saline mister as a neti pot replacement. Not as good results but helpful.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i do have one of those saline mist for her nose, it does seem to help some. She is just having such a hard time with this. I feel so bad for her.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 3:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son has severe allergis as well (almost 3) and we just ended up at the Urgent Care for it. What you need to be concerned with is it becoming asthma. The coughing would make me nervous, they can be coughing because they are fighting for air. If you put your ear to her chest do you hear any wheezing? If you do, then you might want to get her in to the Dr to check for asthma. We have to give our son breathing treatments as well as Zyrtec this time of year. They can go from bad to worse pretty quickly, in our case, even while on Zyrtec and maintenance breathing treatments, he was heading for pneumonia, had we waited another 24 hours to go to the Dr we would have been sent to the hospital. I am not trying to scare you or panic you, but please do check for the wheezing.
    MrsManners

Answer by MrsManners at 4:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I agree on checking for wheezing. My son has Reactive Airway Disease (my doctor said they can't diagnose asthma without a breathing test that they can't do until they're 6). He gets really bad coughs at night when he gets either or a cold or allergies. The cough is very distintive. It's a dry, hacking cough that sometimes sounds like a croupy cough (i.e. barking). He's on both an inhaler and Singulair (chewable tablet). They have helped things significantly. Some things to try int he meantime (if you haven't already). Try to avoid having her go into her room wearing clothes she wore outside. Just change her if you've been outside for a while. Keep her windows closed (and her door too if you open windows in the rest of the house0Since her allergies are seasonal, they probably won't test for them. It won't help you to know that she's allergic to tree pollen since you can get rid of trees..Treatment is the focus.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2010