No matter what punishment I give nothing is working anymore.any thoughts would be great

my son 14 has ADD and is always under adults and in everyones bussiness and always has somthing to say or backtalks on everything. my 13 year old daughter is a A B honor roll student and is very active in sports but has a mouth that is getting her in alot of trouble. she just wentup to be exspelled from school. I have tried so many punishments and she dont seem to care. I am a very suportive parent and my kids talk to me but they dont seem to respect me please help if you have any advice.

msweet1977

Asked by msweet1977 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• This is the phase of teen years that can suck. If it's an ongoing thing I'd tape record her so she can hear how she sounds then I'd ask her what she would do if she were you. I told my kids that it was my job to train them to be good citizens and merge into society without getting expelled, fired or getting their a&& kicked over their smart mouth. Then I asked them how they would handle it if they were the parent. You'd be surprised how enlisting them to help in their own DISCIPLINE (not punishment) works well.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• why dont you try rewarding for good things rather then punishing for bad things? like maybe tell her, if she does good in school for the next week you'll buy her a new shirt or whatever it is that she wants at that moment, and so she'll want to keep doing good.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• make some simple rules being respectful to adults etc.. then stick to those rules giving consequences be consistent & firm.. also when they do good even if its a small thing let them know you appreciate it.. giving rewards for when they are good is ok but there needs to be firm strong discipline for if they break the rules.. also they should learn responsibility have them get a part time job on the weekends.. this may help them appreciate you more..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2010