Do you send your boys to Kindergarten at 5 or 6 ?

They can start here if the are 5 by August 31st. My son will be 5 in July so he will just be old enough by a month. I have heard that many Moms hold the boys till they're 6 is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I held my daughter back a year, I didn't think she was ready.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My boy is turning 5 on Sept 9. I am holding him back. He is immature and my baby. I think the extra year can only help him. He would be the youngest in the class, now he will be the oldest. I think that's an advantage.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My husband and I decided to send our 5 yr old son to Kindergarten. His birthday is May 25 and he is the second youngest in the class and we wish we would have waited. He is going to be repeating Kindergarten next year.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• My son will turn six at the start of KG. He has to be 5 by Sept 1 no exceptions and he turned 5 on the 16th, so he'll be 6 this year.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I think it's pretty common to hold back boys or girls with summer birthdays. My dd has a July birthday, and I really regret that I didn't hold her back a year. My friend has a son with a May birthday; she started him on time, but then ended up holding him back a year. I think it's easier to do it up front if you suspect maturity will be an issue for your child, because once they start school it can be disheartening for them to stay behind their friends.
    Anonymous

• I had one that was 5 and turned six a few wks later, One that was 4 and turned 5 a month later and one that was right in the middle. It isn't about the age..it's each individual kid. My oldest could have begun at 4 if they would have let him and he would have been fine. My grandson should have waited until he was six...he just wasn't ready. you know your child better than any one.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• 5 if they can go.

If he is ready let him go. My son loves Kindergarten and he is doing very well, he started at 5. I don't think it matters the age it is whether they are ready.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I held my son back cause I wasn't ready. I just didn't want him to leave me at all. Now that he has started I have come to grips with it.
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 2:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Oh and My sons B-day is July 31st.
    shamillionaire

• my dd is in pre-k and loves it and will start kindergarten after this summer she turns 5 in june. i think she has learned so much in pre-k
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010