how do i stop the chewing?

We have this 7 mth old chiweenie that will not stop chewing on stuff. we just got a mat for outside and its all tore up. he chews on everything and its driving me nuts. He is a good dog and i dont want to get rid of him but i am sick of shelling out money for things. like speaker wires and what not. we got him a kong and fill it all the time and he has stuffed animals and what not. i dont know what else to do. some days he doesnt get the attention he thinks he needs and they told me he chews when he is bored...but i cant be there 24/7 ugh...help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Pets

• How much exercise does he actually get? A tired dog is a good dog. Boredom is one reason they chew but it is also part of the age. Look at his toys and if they are ones that he can easily destroy I would pick them up and give him one that will last longer. If he is a big chewer, he should not be left unattended in the house or outside. He may even need a job. If you take the time to really train him and teach him tricks that will help.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• we are in the middle of training him and that has help on everything else but the chewing. in a perfect world i would love to leave him unattended but i cant always do that. there is about an hour or so that overlap me and my husbands work sched so the dog is by himself. i didnt think i needed to lock him up cause he is good else where but maybe i should start putting him back in his crate while we are out,. it just seems so mean. esp on days when we have to be gone alot. we try and take him out all the time and with us but thats not always possible.
    Anonymous

• The crate will keep him safe. I have one that I called my exploratory waiting to happen for the longest time because he was a big chewer. If I hadn't crated him who knows what they would have had to go in and remove. With him it also didn't seem to matter how well we doggie proofed he still found something. He is also a tall dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Dogs definitely do chew out of boredom. Restrict his access to certain areas by a gate or using a crate. Make sure he is getting lots of exercise. I tired dog is a well behaved dog.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2010