What can I do to produce more breast milk?

My son is 6 months old and breastfeed. My son gets 3 bottles during the day of breast milk and I breastfeed him 3 times. I seem to be producing less and less milk as the days go by. I used to have a decent frozen supply and now I seem to be tapping into that supply more and more. I would like to replenish the supply, if possible, because I would like to continue breastfeeding until he is 1 year old. I could use any suggestions or recommendations! Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump after you breastfeed him and if he doesn't wake up at night to eat, make sure you pump once at night also.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I am trying so hard to pump after every feeding but its hard cause she wont nurse on both sides for 15 min. she just will nurse on one side most of the time and I cant get her to wake up to finish on the other side so Im scared if I pump she will wake up and want to nurse again 15 min. later which seems to be the case lately. But that is what will keep your milk supply up is if you pump after every feeding, its important to empty out your breast so your body knows to make more milk. With my first I pumped about 6oz in each breast and with my little girl I pump anywhere from 7-8oz in each, you make more with each pregnancy. Im actually pumping for my three year old because I exlusivly breastfeed my daughter so this way my milk doesnt go to waist and I can still keep my milk supply up. You can also try eating lots of oatmeal and try finugreek you can by it at one of those nicer grocery stores. Your supposed to take 9 pills a day
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• nurse him when you can, he's more efficient than the pump and gives your body a better signal to produce more.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• cont.. 3 in the am, 3 in the afternoon and 3 at night. When I took them It only increased my milk an oz. or two but it was worth it. All this info Im giving to you is coming straight from my lactation consultant that I have known for over 3 yrs, shes wonderful and has helped me out so much. I lost almost all my milk suppy with my first child because some idiot doctor who knew I was nursing prescribed me cold medicine that completely almost dried me up. I went from making about 5 oz in each breast at that time to only 1oz in each! I was so pissed and sad at the same time and I never got all of it back matter of fact I had to start supplementing formula from that day forward cause I didnt have enough milk any more. I know better now
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• drink lots of fluids. u can be dehydrated without knowing it and that can great effect your milk supply
    Mommy2MissStar

Answer by Mommy2MissStar at 2:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You need to be breastfeeding more often. When you are with your baby you should be breastfeeding on demand. At 6 months your baby could get just 1 bottle a day while you are at work along with solids. While you are together the baby could nurse 6-8 times.

Drinking more fluids doesn't make you have more milk. Babies need to continue to be breastfed 6-8 or more times after they turn 6 months and start solids. Breastmilk is to remain their main source of nutrition for proper brain growth and development. It's common for babies of working moms to seem to nurse all night. My DIL works and my grandson nurses at least 2 or 3 times at night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Breastfeed more often when you guys are together. Babies are much better at getting the milk out than a pump. While you are apart, he only needs 1-1.5 oz of pumped milk. Any more than that and he'll over eat and get flow prefrence. DD is 10m/o and is in daycare from 8am-4pm.She gets 2 solid meals, 2 snacks and one 3oz bottle. Sometimes she'll take another 2oz sippy cup with milk, but usually not. Then when we get home, she nurses on demand, about 3-4 times between 4:30 and 10 (bedtime). She STTN but gets up for a marathon nursing session from 5-7 (I sleep while she nurses!). I know all babies are different, but if you could feed more at home, he'll take less at daycare. Good luck, momma!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You can also try to pump WHILE you are nursing to increse your supply.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Breastfeed more often!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• nurse the baby more often. The more you nurse, the more milk comes down.
    BrandaP

Answer by BrandaP at 5:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2010